Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pentax Q7 has bigger sensor
So far Pentax Q cameras use a 1/2.3" sensor. 

Interestingly Pentax will go for a 1/1.7" sensor in the upcoming Q7.

http://www.pentaximaging.com/about/press...ra_System_

The crop factor will therefore decrease to 4.6x. The 5-15mm f/2.8-4.5 will then translate to a 23-69mm - quite attractive then.

Actually I liked the Q quite a bit so maybe I will give it a try once more.

What would the new diffraction limit be?  The 1st gen sensor was around f/5.6.

The fish-eye should be closer to 180° now!

I reckon f/5.6 will be Ok on the Q7.  However, that's still equiv to f/25 on full format (DOF-wise).

Thus I still wouldn't go beyond f/4 if possible. Why should you anyway (assuming that you got a decently centered lens).

That is kinda nice, bringing it upto the level of the enthusiast compacts.

The 1st gen sensor would show diffraction loss after f2.8, anyhow...

Quite cool limited set.

Although I would prefer quality lenses over the toy lenses.

Yea this was announced 3 or 4 days ago; but no one started a thread Sad I forget what size sensor do the larger compacts use like s100 ?
The S100 has the same sensor size.

FWIW, the Q7 has no AA filter but I doubt that this is unusual in this sensor class.

DIdn't someone - sony ? fuji? introduce a s100 competitor with a larger sensor ? I guess it was probalby sony they seem to do that sort of thing. The Q7 is amusing (at least the pictures on a key chain ) but I'm at a lost because when you add a lens it doesn't seem very pocketable (at least in the pictures) - it seems larger than sx240 or similar.

In answer to previous post - The sony rx100 has a 1 inch sensor and the q is tiny . To compare size go to the camerasize site.
The larger sensor camera that you are probably refering to is the Sony rx100. Use camerasize site to compare cameras. For me the Q7 makes the q system really interesing. Might buy one.