Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sony NEX future
Dear Zoners,

since there are interesting discussions going on regarding the NEX system I start another thread here.

I think that theoretically the NEX system could be the most interesting for people looking for a small form factor and very high quality. Recently I found interesting postings at the blog http://diglloyd.com e.g. on April 26th.

The main drawbacks at the moment are mediocre lenses (quality, selection, build quality) and the problems in the corners with the wide angles on the 24 MP sensor of the NEX7. 

I hope with the availability of the new Zeiss 12mm and the other Zeiss and Sony Zeiss lenses, the lack of high quality lenses will come to an end. Ideally future testing will show the real potential of the system hopefully with an improved sensor of the NEX7n (improved micro lenses?)

If not than the distance from the lens to the sensor is just too short for high quality pictures outside the central part  of wide angle shots with the NEX system. As a result I have to stick to m43 or DLSR.

Or wait for Nikon or Leica half format mirror less system...

Would love to see the "critical" view of Klaus in this regard. Somehow I believe that the "love-hate" of Klaus is based on the high expectation and the disappointment in reality.

What do you, dear Zoners, expect and wish to see in future?

Cheers

Andreas

Quote:Dear Zoners,

since there are interesting discussions going on regarding the NEX system I start another thread here.

I think that theoretically the NEX system could be the most interesting for people looking for a small form factor and very high quality. Recently I found interesting postings at the blog http://diglloyd.com e.g. on April 26th.

The main drawbacks at the moment are mediocre lenses (quality, selection, build quality) and the problems in the corners with the wide angles on the 24 MP sensor of the NEX7. 

I hope with the availability of the new Zeiss 12mm and the other Zeiss and Sony Zeiss lenses, the lack of high quality lenses will come to an end. Ideally future testing will show the real potential of the system hopefully with an improved sensor of the NEX7n (improved micro lenses?)

If not than the distance from the lens to the sensor is just too short for high quality pictures outside the central part  of wide angle shots with the NEX system. As a result I have to stick to m43 or DLSR.

Or wait for Nikon or Leica half format mirror less system...

Would love to see the "critical" view of Klaus in this regard. Somehow I believe that the "love-hate" of Klaus is based on the high expectation and the disappointment in reality.

What do you, dear Zoners, expect and wish to see in future?

Cheers

Andreas

Well, some of the lenses are promising for sure. The Sony 50/1.8, 35/1.8 and 10-18/4 are decent. No doubts regarding the Zeiss lenses.

Sony is working on the G standard zoom lens and, eventually, we'll see the G tele zoom lens for sure.

The problem is, however, that Fuji is pressing all the right buttons lately so you may argue why to bother anyway. Especially because the upcoming Zeiss primes will be available for Fuji as well.

MFT is smaller, yes, but for most users it is sufficient. The IQ delivered from the OM-D and GH3 is outstanding and once the Pana 42.5/1.2 is here, the only missing things are pro grade long teles.

That all said, neither Fuji or the MFT gang can match Sony in terms of marketing.
Not that I have any plans to retire my DSLRs in the foreseeable future, I'm still keeping an eye on mirrorless developments.

To me, there are only 3 viable systems at the moment: NEX, MFT, and Fuji.

NEX I think has some very interesting bodies and features but the lenses aren't there. I'm sure the Zeiss ones will largely correct that, but at a high size and cost. If you're going to sacrifice size, the metabones speedbooster + Canon EF lens becomes really interesting as that could be the 2nd most compact full frame (equivalent) interchangeable lens digital system around then (after Leica M).

MFT is the "logical" choice if you want a small and complete system now. But to me it lacks a certain magic. This is a choice for the head, not the heart.

Fuji... this is one for the heart. I want one, but I don't need one, nor does it suit the majority of my uses. I can afford to wait anyway. Look at the improvements going from X100 to X100s. If we assume they will be integrated into the X-Pro2 or whatever it will be called, that would be a very potent package. But the size again isn't that great on the system and it is definitely aiming at the premium end only. If they manage to pull off a X-ProMini or some such (X-Pro1 features, smaller size), that would probably be enough to push me over.
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
The one thing i watch for with Nex is I think they are most likely to introduce a FF model. I'm currently with MFT and really like MFT for the size benefits as well as olympus lenses generally being good quality (QC wise) but Fuji looks very interesting and I think in another generation or two they will improve the auto-focus issue as well as other refinements. I'm not really a fan of Nex but I do like larger format perspective (6x7 ala Mamia 7) is my preference though I suspect we not see that in digital anytime soon.

-

I guess one open question is can the market support all three (4 if you consider MFT has two players) ?

Quote:The one thing i watch for with Nex is I think they are most likely to introduce a FF model.
Most likely still doesn't mean likely. The RX1 certainly got a lot of attention, but could it be a stepping stone to FF mirrorless?
Quote:Fuji looks very interesting and I think in another generation or two they will improve the auto-focus issue as well as other refinements.
For sure, as said the X100s seems to have been kicked up a gear over the X100, and it would be logical to include that in a near future X-Pro.
Quote:I guess one open question is can the market support all three (4 if you consider MFT has two players) ?
If we can draw parallels with the DSLR market, where we have two big leaders (CaNikon), a significant third (Sony Alpha), and the one that refuses to die (Pentax).

In mirrorless land, I'd say right now MFT combined is probably leading, and NEX is more or less up there. Here things divert from the DSLR parallel. Fuji aren't playing exactly the same game, aiming higher end so would tend to remain a niche. Nikon 1 and Canon M will probably have enough backing they wont die, but even with that it remains a question if they can break through to significance. And I'm sure Samsung could do better but they really need to shout a lot more.
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
Quote:Most likely still doesn't mean likely. The RX1 certainly got a lot of attention, but could it be a stepping stone to FF mirrorless?For sure, as said the X100s seems to have been kicked up a gear over the X100, and it would be logical to include that in a near future X-Pro.If we can draw parallels with the DSLR market, where we have two big leaders (CaNikon), a significant third (Sony Alpha), and the one that refuses to die (Pentax).

In mirrorless land, I'd say right now MFT combined is probably leading, and NEX is more or less up there. Here things divert from the DSLR parallel. Fuji aren't playing exactly the same game, aiming higher end so would tend to remain a niche. Nikon 1 and Canon M will probably have enough backing they wont die, but even with that it remains a question if they can break through to significance. And I'm sure Samsung could do better but they really need to shout a lot more.

Well, Nex is APS-C sized, so Canon with EOS-M could very well compete (eventually) with Nex, once they get AF sorted (will they?) and once they catch up a bit on the sensors. Canon would then have the tele covered already with their EF lenses (the loss of the mirror box would not make an EOS-M design much smaller anyway). A few more pancakes, a redone 10-22, done.
I think "eventually" is the key word there. Canon's problem is that some existing Canon DSLR users have already bought other mirrorless systems, and it may not be easy to win them back. Ok, what about people who don't have a DSLR? Well, Canon are likely missing out a fair proportion of them to Sony/Olympus/Panasonic. Is there going to be much left by the time they even get competitive with what else is available today, let alone tomorrow?
I still have high hope on the NEX-FF. I want a range finder FF to stay away from people attraction. The Leica is out of my reach and outdated. The RX1 is very attractive but it is a fixed lens camera.

Honestly, FF mirrorless is a phantom pain. The images delivered from a Fuji are superb already and why bother with extra weight (from heavier lenses) ?
Quote:Honestly, FF mirrorless is a phantom pain. The images delivered from a Fuji are superb already and why bother with extra weight (from heavier lenses) ?
The APS-C is struggling at 24 Mp while the FF can goes up more.