Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Test old Canon FD lenses on Nex 7 ?
This could be cool :

Maybe the first time ever that we could see a comparison measurement of the old FD lenses on a top level digital camera without an optical adapter. One could even make interesting comparisons with Canon EF lenses and so on...

I have quite a collection of those lenses : from 20mm to 400mm, including a few I really like, like the FD 85mm 1.8 (my all time favorite - I also like the EF version), FD 50mm Macro 3.5, FD 35mm 2.0, FD 80-200 4L...

I use them a lot with the Nex 7 and I'm really pleased by the results.

Now, let's dream of a test of the big whites...

I'm ready to bet that this would even make some traffic increase to this website.

Raoul
We are testing Leica M and some Alpha lenses on NEX but it really needs to stop there.

I can surely understand that some individuals would be excited about FD lens tests but the majority is certainly not.

The access statistics to "exotic" tests clearly show this.

cheers

Klaus
[quote name='Klaus' timestamp='1335452304' post='17790']

We are testing Leica M and some Alpha lenses on NEX but it really needs to stop there.

I can surely understand that some individuals would be excited about FD lens tests but the majority is certainly not.

The access statistics to "exotic" tests clearly show this.

cheers

Klaus

[/quote]

That's disappointing to hear, Klaus. I just acquired a NEX-7 and I an now looking for good lenses for this camera, which, as you have indicated, puts greater demands on a lens than other cameras. I am not likely ever going to be in a position to buy Leica M lenses so I was hoping that this site would be reviewing some lenses other than just Sony or Leica on the NEX-7. What about all the Zeiss lenses in Canon or Nikon mounts? Those are not exotic combinations. I have tried an old Nikon Auto-s 50mm f/1.4 lens, but the bokeh is disappointing. The ability to use legacy lenses on the NEX-7 was one of the main reasons for switching from the D700.

I REALLY do hope you will reconsider your plan only to test Leica and Sony Alpha lenses on the NEX-7 camera. I do not know of any other place where we might have a chance of seeing tests a ranges of lenses on the NEX-7 and I very much doubt that I am the only NEX-7 user who is looking for this information.

Jim
Well, Leica M refers to the system, not Leica. I don't see the point of testing native Leica lenses other than on the M9 for the reasons you mentioned.

One of the upcoming tests will cover the Voigtlander Heliar 75mm f/1.8 for instance. It is an affordable lens - and a very good one on the NEX7. Voigtlander tests have been pretty popular actually.

However, testing discontinued MF SLR lenses will not happen on NEX. Sorry. We just can't stretch our resources so far.
[quote name='Klaus' timestamp='1335509607' post='17805']

Well, Leica M refers to the system, not Leica. I don't see the point of testing native Leica lenses other than on the M9 for the reasons you mentioned.

One of the upcoming tests will cover the Voigtlander Heliar 75mm f/1.8 for instance. It is an affordable lens - and a very good one on the NEX7. Voigtlander tests have been pretty popular actually.

However, testing discontinued MF SLR lenses will not happen on NEX. Sorry. We just can't stretch our resources so far.

[/quote]

Thanks, Klaus. Good to hear the clarification and news of the Voigtlander test.

I'm sorry if I gave the impression that I was asking for tests of Hasselblad lenses on the NEX-7. That was not in my mind at all, even though I tried one, that was only because I already had that lens.

I was just asking for tests of lenses like the Voigtlander and lenses that are available in a variety of mounts. With the so-so quality of Sony's lenses on the Nex-7, I think all Nex-7 owners are looking for better quality lenses and your site is the only place I have found where such tests are even conceivable.

Many thanks for all you do, it's great work.

Jim
Hi, I've just started a blog discussing the usage of Canon FD and EF (with preference to FD) on the Nex-7, it doesn't have any ambition of being scientific and autoritative like Photozone.de, just some thoughts and hands-on comparison by a normal user, which might be interesting.

I've started it with a test of the Canon FD 50mm 1,4 against the Sony 18-55 kit lens, the results are quite interesting, and proves what we all knew already: the Nex-7 is penalized by a really bad kit lens, and gets easily smashed by a 40-years old design...
[quote name='Umb67' timestamp='1338422792' post='18571']

Hi, I've just started a blog discussing the usage of Canon FD and EF (with preference to FD) on the Nex-7, it doesn't have any ambition of being scientific and autoritative like Photozone.de, just some thoughts and hands-on comparison by a normal user, which might be interesting.

I've started it with a test of the Canon FD 50mm 1,4 against the Sony 18-55 kit lens, the results are quite interesting, and proves what we all knew already: the Nex-7 is penalized by a really bad kit lens, and gets easily smashed by a 40-years old design...

[/quote]

Well, 50mm lenses haven't really been changed much for the last 30 years or so. The Canon EF 50/1.8 II is, I think, also based on an FD design. The peak performance of those lenses is extremely high and the weaker borders are largely cropped on an APS-C body anyway.

Most older FD (tele-) zoom lenses are certainly not quite as sexy anymore.
Well, of course I expected the 50 mm prime to beat the Sony kit zoon, but not that much!

Sony is really hurting the Nex-7 reputation, by supplying it with such a bad lens. It seems they are marketing it as a luxury compact for casual users that need a zoom, but I'd say is a bit expensive for that and the Nex-5n fits the bill at half that price. The Nex-7 is clearly an enthusiast camera, a good and simpler to build fast prime designed for the APS-C format (similar to the Sigma 30 mm), should be sold as a standard lens.

Quote:Most older FD (tele-) zoom lenses are certainly not quite as sexy anymore.

True, I also have a 35-70mm FD, which I still haven't tried on the Nex-7, it doesn't seem as exciting like the classic primes...
I've published a new test: Canon FD 24mm vs Canon 24-105L vs Canon 17-40L vs Sony 18-55, all at 24mm

http://nex7canon.blogspot.com
[quote name='Umb67' timestamp='1338497776' post='18579']

I've published a new test: Canon FD 24mm vs Canon 24-105L vs Canon 17-40L vs Sony 18-55, all at 24mm

http://nex7canon.blogspot.com

[/quote]

Thanks,

I have a few FD lenses in my drawer as well. Using them at the moment with a Macro (glass-less) adapter for a little macro tinkering.

Because I have Canon EOS stuff, I am waiting now for the Canon mirror-less to appear, then I can perhaps give the FD lenses a proper go again. Perhaps a few comparisons like yours will make it then to http://photonius.wikispaces.com/.

When I set these pages up, I preferred the idea of a wiki-like style over the blog style, because the blogs tend to be always chronological, while such info is perhaps more suited to a wiki-like style.