Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teleconverter + adapter from Laowa/Venus
http://www.venuslens.net/laowa-magic-for...erter-mfc/

Funny tidbits:

• They act as if it is a revolutionary product like the Metabones Speedbooster series was. But it is just a TC. With a different mount on each end.
  • Also, they pretend it was possible due to the shorter flange distance. Hmmm, I wonder how my Soligor Teleconverter goes about shortening the flange distance of my Canon 6D.  :ph34r:
Nice to see this product, though. It will come in two flavors, Canon EF and Nikon F-mount. They call it "Ai" but that just means it won't support operating the aperture of G and the new "E" Nikkors. It is a 1.4x TC, so to make sense only the sharpest lenses need apply (why else use a 50mp MF camera?).

I do not see contacts for the shown Canon model, which would mean shooting wide open only?

When full frame became within reach, some teleconverters were used to use crop system lenses on full frame, that was a miserable failure

Quote:When full frame became within reach, some teleconverters were used to use crop system lenses on full frame, that was a miserable failure
Why exact;y was that a failure?
Quote:Why exact;y was that a failure?
Dunno the true reasons but that practice didn't survive long, do you see anyone still using this combo, I am assuming it's mostly the presence of better performing affordable native full frame lenses, would you use EFs-17-55f2.8 +TC to have a 24-77f4 or the native 24-105 f4 IS, but again I am  just assuming 
Quote:Dunno the true reasons but that practice didn't survive long, do you see anyone still using this combo, I am assuming it's mostly the presence of better performing affordable native full frame lenses, would you use EFs-17-55f2.8 +TC to have a 24-77f4 or the native 24-105 f4 IS, but again I am  just assuming 
To me it seems you made that practice up. I have not read anywhere about people using a TC to use APS-C lenses on FF in the transition period. 

There were no teleconverters on which you could mount the EF-S 17-55mm f2.8 IS USM, or other EF-S lenses.

That said, I see no issue with using my 1.7x (measured more like 1.6x) with my Ultra-Micro-Nikkor 55mm f2 which has too small an image circle on FF, or my modified EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM. With the former it crops away the dark corners, and with the latter it gives the lens' full range it was designed for in the 1st place.
Quote:To me it seems you made that practice up. I have not read anywhere about people using a TC to use APS-C lenses on FF in the transition period. 

There were no teleconverters on which you could mount the EF-S 17-55mm f2.8 IS USM, or other EF-S lenses.

That said, I see no issue with using my 1.7x (measured more like 1.6x) with my Ultra-Micro-Nikkor 55mm f2 which has too small an image circle on FF, or my modified EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM. With the former it crops away the dark corners, and with the latter it gives the lens' full range it was designed for in the 1st place.
Agreed, I never heard about that either. Some people I knew were using some crummy film (but naturally full-frame) lenses like the 28-90 or 28-105 with their 5D, maybe they were thinking that FF is a magic bullet that would have made even a bad lens like this shine. Of course none of that stuck, and before long they were all equipped with the likes of 24-105 or 24-70 L lenses.

P. S. What TC are you using with that Canon setup?
Quote:Agreed, I never heard about that either. Some people I knew were using some crummy film (but naturally full-frame) lenses like the 28-90 or 28-105 with their 5D, maybe they were thinking that FF is a magic bullet that would have made even a bad lens like this shine. Of course none of that stuck, and before long they were all equipped with the likes of 24-105 or 24-70 L lenses.

P. S. What TC are you using with that Canon setup?
Soligor 1.7x C/D4 TC, quite a nice little TC.