Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RF lenses to be announced in late Feb
The 70-200 looks ... weird ... for a f/2.8

https://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/first-l...rf-lenses/

But - impressive.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
15-35 24-70 70-200 the holy trilogy is here, canon is aiming at professionals all of them stabilized... will there be IBIS ???
was expecting a cheap kit lens..... none of it
It does not look weird for a f2.8 lens (it is fat enough), but it looks (very) short (so, weird) for a 200-70mm zoom. I wonder how they do that, possibly a new configuration making use of the wide throat diameter, maybe some DO element?

Canon showing quite some might with announcing 5 new lenses so quickly again.
(02-04-2019, 09:28 PM)toni-a Wrote: 15-35 24-70 70-200 the holy trilogy is here, canon is aiming at professionals  all of them stabilized... will there be IBIS ???

Well, the 24-240mm certainly looks like a cheap kit lens - probably for the RP (which is supposed to be rather affordable).
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
(02-04-2019, 09:35 PM)Brightcolours Wrote: I wonder how they do that, possibly a new configuration making use of the wide throat diameter, maybe some DO element?

Either that, or it extends when zooming.
Editor
opticallimits.com

(02-04-2019, 09:28 PM)toni-a Wrote: 15-35 24-70 70-200 the holy trilogy is here, canon is aiming at professionals  all of them stabilized... will there be IBIS ???

trinity.

And Canon is aiming at the FF buying public in general, not "professionals"
The upcoming lower end EOS R camera (rumoured to be named "EOS RP") will have a 26.2mp sensor, and is rumoured to be very light (485 grams). A kit will include the RF 24-105mm f4 L USM and adapter.
(02-06-2019, 12:37 PM)Brightcolours Wrote: The upcoming lower end EOS R camera (rumoured to be named "EOS RP") will have a 26.2mp sensor, and is rumoured to be very light (485 grams). A kit will include the RF 24-105mm f4 L USM and adapter.

This could be interesting. Any idea when it will be released?
Hopefully they will also release a bunch of slowish (~f2) compact primes to go with it.
--Florent

Flickr gallery
At the same time as the 5 new lenses. So don't expect a bunch of compact slow primes yet ;-)
From what I heard, some retailers in the Netherlands are invited for an event organized by Canon on Februray 25, where the new camera will be introduced, but there is a possibility that the camera will be available even sooner (15 or 16 february), basically the same day when the new discount program (cashbacks) starts. Even the RF will have a discount, 200 euros cashback, or 400 euros towards a lens bought with it (specific lenses only).

HTH, kind regards, Wim

(02-04-2019, 09:35 PM)Brightcolours Wrote: It does not look weird for a f2.8 lens (it is fat enough), but it looks (very) short (so, weird) for a 200-70mm zoom. I wonder how they do that, possibly a new configuration making use of the wide throat diameter, maybe some DO element?

Canon showing quite some might with announcing 5 new lenses so quickly again.
It could well be a photo / image compression feature, where the image is shortened width wise. It has happened before with images like these. I reckon it will be a similar size to the current 70-200 F/2.8s for dslrs, and possibly even a bit longer.

HTH, kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....