Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fujinon X-T20 and Fujinon XF 50mm f/2 R WR
No news anymore but still interesting

http://fujifilm-x.com/cameras/x-t20/

http://fujifilm-x.com/lenses/xf50mmf2-r-wr/

900USD for the X-T20 vs 1600USD for the X-T2 

Most of the specs are identical ... I think I'd take the T20

There are a couple of differences. Not all make the X-T2 the better equipped choice, I envy the touchscreen already.

video makers will miss the energy capacity of 3 batteries (with grip), but benefit of the touchscreen, will miss log-D output and headphone socket.

Battery grip. some seals for weather resistance and bigger finder is another feature of X-T2 only. The not much useful front dial both cameras have. The boost mode for higher frame rates and EVF screen refresh is depending on the grip.

I miss customizable settings for the camera like very much advanced models have. But then, I don't know if I would go Fuji if I havd to decide freshly. Things are different today and seeing only the widely unsupported compressed RAW is enough to make me hesitate - which is also an excuse for me not to start to save money for GFX. I'm afraid, I will stick with Nikon for some while.

I think the differences between X-T20 and X-T2 are well placed. What X-T2 have in extra is not so important to most people but for some, it's absolutely crucial. Pricing however is a different concern. I'm thinking X-T2 is a bit overpriced, it'd be better at 1300-1400$.

Waiting for the local price, it'll probably still be at almost twice what X-T10 costs here right now.

The X-T2 will have the signficantly better view finder. I have the X-T10 and the biggest issue is manual focus is almost worthless compared to the X-T1 where it is excellent. If you are using a tripod or static object it isn't really an issue; but if are using it like an old SLR constantly manual focus the X-T1 is a joy and the X-T10 is awful (repeat of what i just said). I haven't seen the X-T2 (or X-T20) but I presume the situation will be the same.

There's manual focus with Fujinons by override or by dedicated setting the flimsy AF dial to "M"  First is good, second still okayish. And then manual focus with adapted lenses. For that the loupe inside the EVF can help, but you need practise to get the focus right with an adapted macro.

All this manual focus stuff is basically contradictive: The smaller the field to focus, the trickier to hold the camera steady, but the more precise is focusing.

I suppose I'm a really simple guy as far as cameras are concerned.

After the initial setup, I barely change more than a handful of settings. 

I can say the same about the D810 - just because there are 2×4 benches to use to keep different settings.

It already starts with the setup of AF-C behavior. Dynamic situations are somewhat unpredictable, so I always have the feeling another setup would have been better. I really would like top switch quickly from more static pictures to dynamic - while "walking the camera" it often happens that I see something which is moving, usually animals - fiddling around with menu settings, dials, switches, some of them without text so I always need to try and error.

But maybe if I would only use the camera to test lenses, I could also say "I set ip up and leave it that way"  :lol:

I think you totally missed the point; so I am curious if you have actually used these cameras before commenting. To be more precise for those who have not used the camera fuji has an option to highlight the in focus region; with the xt-10 the edge of this highlight is barely visible (not sure if it is due to increase contrast or magnification of the x-t1 view finder)  but with the xt-1 it is night and day making it trivial to quickly manually focus a sequence of pictures. While this feature probably does not matter to most people it is a signficant benefit of the x-t1 over the x-t10. I do not know if the same is true between the x-t2 and x-t20 but i would suspect that would be the case given the price difference.

Quote:There's manual focus with Fujinons by override or by dedicated setting the flimsy AF dial to "M"  First is good, second still okayish. And then manual focus with adapted lenses. For that the loupe inside the EVF can help, but you need practise to get the focus right with an adapted macro.

All this manual fosuc stuff is basically contradictive: The smaller the field to focus, the trickier to hold the camera steady, but the more precise is focusing.
Quote:I haven't seen the X-T2 (or X-T20) but I presume the situation will be the same.

Quote:I think you totally missed the point; so I am curious if you have actually used these cameras before commenting.

Contrary to you I own one, so please be careful with your assumptions.  Wink

The highlighting is very thin and manual focusing without a tripod at close distances with a long macro lens is not easy - I stick to what I said because it's my experience.