Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Canon 63 MP sensor coming
(04-25-2019, 04:51 AM)Brightcolours Wrote: So you will stop using MFT or something? Because they have smaller pixels...

If they go nuts, I (personally) would, yes. 20mp is the limit for MFT.
Also - I don't need more than 20mp.

I will have to upgrade to the X-T30 very soon ... and then the NEX 7 and 5Ds R story will repeat itself again - poor border performance in most lenses.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
(04-25-2019, 01:06 AM)Klaus Wrote: At the end of the day, the number of photons is limiting the number of meaningful megapixels.

I suspect that from here on, we'll see more aggressive on-sensor noise reduction techniques to push the limits a little. I reckon in the next couple of years, we'll see the return of "painted" images again at higher ISOs.

Klaus, most APS-C 24 MP cameras already have a higher pixel density than the majority of High Res FF bodies. And if you compare them in the Canon universe with the smaller APS-C size, you get the same situation.

Here at OL you were the first to use a 50 MP Canon sensor for lens tests - and you still hesitate to give the lenses you tested with (at least some) the final verdict. Your allergy against high res cameras goes as far as the lens tests remain incomplete. At the end of some, but not all tests we see sentences like "Optical Quality at 50 megapixels: No rating at this stage" or "Optical Quality: To be determined once we have a broader base of tests at 50mp". How broader than 26 lenses the database has to become and why are some lenses rated and the others not?

No one has to buy 60 or 63 MP sensors, but looking forward into "painted images" future is rather ridiculous. That didn't or doesn't happen with µ 4/3's and also not with Phase One's 150 MP sensors. What's already happening is: the software based lens correction which first could be seen at µ 4/3 now is getting everywhere to modern lenses. Great sharpness and (in my eyes) extreme distortions and vignetting is the new "performance. One needs one to make up his own mind about that fact. 

At least the people always complaining about the weight and size now get compact and light lenses. Although this procedure costs FL and resolution on both ends of the FL-range
(04-25-2019, 10:47 AM)Klaus Wrote:
(04-25-2019, 04:51 AM)Brightcolours Wrote: So you will stop using MFT or something? Because they have smaller pixels...

I will have to upgrade to the X-T30 very soon ... and then the NEX 7 and 5Ds R story will repeat itself again - poor border performance in most lenses.

20 x 4 =... 80mp. There you go.
(04-24-2019, 09:40 AM)toni-a Wrote: Info is almost official 

https://www.dpreview.com/news/9908056594...data-sheet

should be the sensor of upcoming EOS high resolution body 

It seems new DSLRs should be coming also...

let's wait and see how this sensor should perform versus Sony sensors

Updated analysis suggests this is not for a product that will make it into a consumer camera.
(04-25-2019, 11:18 AM)Brightcolours Wrote:
(04-25-2019, 10:47 AM)Klaus Wrote:

20 x 4 =... 80mp. There you go.

72mp

And unlike on the 5Ds, most lenses have a decent corner performance in MFT land.
Canon doesn't even manage to provide decent video capabilities at 30mp ;-)

20 x 4 = 72mp? My guess is that you tried to do a simple 4:3 -> 3:2 conversion and failed (should be / 9 * 8 = 71.1mp?).
But the 2x crop factor is based on diagonal, not the width, so if you want to play that game, do it right? (77mp)

And uhmm.. We agreed on how the 5Ds ( R ) figures get hit twice because of the used way of sharpening of the MTF results, and one has to take that into account when comparing. So... which MTF 50mp sensor have you used to compare?
I just read this sensor is unlikely to be in any future canon cameras, it has poor dynamic range (worse thsn 6Dii) and it is very slow so most likely an old design that was never used in cameras or is designed for other uses.
However if it turns out that Canon might use it in their upcoming cameras it's a disappointment
Ah, I used 18x13.3mm for the MTF sensor but it is 17*13.3mm

Anyway, may it be 72, 77 or a 80mp FF sensor - looking at the MTF in the 5Ds R section I don't see how today's FF lenses can handle that except in the dead center - which is making the whole exercise rather pointless.

Of course, if Canon comes up with that 63mp sensor it'll be exciting from a test perspective. Heaps of **ish ratings ... if I dare to provide a rating that is ;-)

17.3 x 13.0
Interesting. I thought one of the soon to be released GFX cameras was going to have 100MP. Then again those lenses (while a tiny bit larger than FF) seem to have much better corner sharpness so maybe it will work with that camera ? Then again maybe my memory is faulty ?