Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Death of a CF card
... just when you don't need it ... *sigh*

The first 10 of the images on the card look pretty much like the attached one.

Attached Files
.jpg   0F6A3968.jpg (Size: 468.24 KB / Downloads: 21)
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Amazing. Now I know one photog still using CF cards... Big Grin That were the ones coming after floppy disks, no?
Cards don't seen to be able many read/write cycles like hard disks.
In windows phone land micro SC cards used to get corrupted frequently, problem solved by not allowing apps that require very frequent readings from SD card to be installed on SD card but on phone internal memory.
FWIW ADATA just launched some enhanced reliability cards
low capacity and expensive but reliability is also important
https://www.anandtech.com/show/14269/ada...and-memory
Sandisk is on the same way
https://www.anandtech.com/show/11889/san...eliability
as well as kingston
https://www.anandtech.com/show/14159/kin...-to-128-gb

so after speed and capacity now we are also asking for reliability
This is a problem, because we know that cards are going to fail and should be replaced after some time, before they fail, with a careful planning. But we don't :-) I no more own cameras working with CF cards, but at least one of my SDXCs is rather old... and for some time the NEX-6 which uses it complained about not detecting it, then the problem disappeared.

In the past, there was a rapid evolution of standards (e.g. I moved from CF to SDXCs) and later the increase of megapixels demanded new cards (my first SDXC was 4GB, now I only go for 64GB): this forced a turnover. But now I suppose my cameras will stick with SDXCs for a very long time and megapixels aren't increasing any longer (for me, at least), so I should think over it...
stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
(04-30-2019, 05:38 AM)JJ_SO Wrote: Amazing. Now I know one photog still using CF cards... Big Grin That were the ones coming after floppy disks, no?

Well, why throw them away ... till now ;-)

Needless to say but I also have various SD cards ... of which two died so far (but unlike with the CF card, the camera refused to format them).
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
I downloaded the photo immediately to see the EXIF in search for the clues about which lens Klaus may be intending to review next. Other than the fact that this was taken with a 5DSR camera and a 100mm lens that doesn't leave a model description in the metadata, I haven't learned much. Smile So... a Zeiss Milvus 100mm Makro-Planar? Big Grin

Sorry Klaus, that's rude of me. But I've seen similar things happen to a couple of my photos when I was using a computer with (as it turned out later) a faulty RAM module to copy the photos from the card. So while I don't argue that it was a card gone bad in your case - of course you know better what happened to you - in other cases there may be more than one thing causing this effect.
(04-30-2019, 05:38 AM)JJ_SO Wrote: Amazing. Now I know one photog still using CF cards... Big Grin That were the ones coming after floppy disks, no?

Actually, you know two Wink
Editor
opticallimits.com

Oh yes, for "comparison reasons" you stick to the D3whatever... although a D850 is around and collecting dust. Guys, you simply deserve dead CF cards Big Grin
Not really... the D3x still sees almost daily use here (not review related). The D850 would be overkill. Actually, the D3x is, too, a D3 or D3s would do.

In any case: no CF casualties here in the last years. But just like Rover I once had similar looking images in the past (very distant past) that were damaged during copying by a faulty SATA driver.
Editor
opticallimits.com

I had this magenta patterns when I got a D7100 first and tried it's 5:4 ration - which then was not supported by Capture One. Same happend with importing compressed Fuji RAW at a time the Capture One developers were hibernating for 1 year and released support for compressed Fuji RAW afterwards. I could have saved some 100 GB without that year of waiting...