Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The new Fuji GXF-100 (100 Mps)
This looks like Fuji is going (or already is) to give Hassleblad some bad-hassle.

Fuji is bringing medium format into the modern fast performance world of the smaller ML cameras.......with phase detect AF on the sensor ....and a host of new stuff.

It has a 5.6 Mdot VF sensor btw.

Fuji standing head to head against the big MF boys .......bravo !!

The camera store get their hands on the camera briefly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfKEvzKbG1Q
For the small target group the camera is aimed for it creates a lot of buzz. No Phase One or Hasselblad, not even the micro MF Pentax ever got so much attention. It looks like Fuji did a lot of things the right way, including their "Fujikina" to introduce it broadly to all "influencers". So everybody who'll never buy it is able to know what exactly he or she is not buying. In terms of competition, the GFX100S will give all the others MF types a hard wind into the face.

And maybe there are a lot of professionals just waiting to give their pictures the extra big plus of resolution for action pictures - most non-action stills could also be taken by stitching a couple of FF together.

However (and not that it matters), I'd pass on it even if I would get one for free. It would be cool to try it out - but handling these huge files would lead to another investment in really potent hardware, fast NAS, big printer. It's good it's out now, so I can see myself drawing a line at 50 MP in a smaller body. With them, I'm able to get the amount of details I wish to see, I'm able to crop and I'm able to use fast(er) lenses if I really want to have shallow DoF. I'm judging my pictures as "would not improve from double resolution".
Further digging on utube shows the Fuji to be every bit as fast in AF-C as the Sony A7/A9. A young lady runs at the camera and every frame is sharp ........ the presenter states 100% hit rate ...... that's incredible as even the Canon EOSR and the Zs couldn't match that!

5 Fps with 13 frame buffer in 14 bit (200 Mb file size) ...... there's a bunch of sports images to be seen at the launch ..... video uses the whole sensor.

When Fuji set their minds to it ...... it looks as if they can do anything ........... a truly versatile MF camera!
I don't see this one as sports camera, and didn't see fuji marketing it that way. Although it's very capable it's not a sports or speed oriented camera like Canon 1Dx or Nikon D5.
However landscape and especially fashion photographers should be very very happy with this one.
(05-27-2019, 11:26 AM)davidmanze Wrote: When Fuji set their minds to it ...... it looks as if they can do anything ...

Anything? Check their remote app and you'll see what they still can't do.

And to add a bit of a mean comment: It's not too complicated to get a good hit rate with comparatively slow lenses Big Grin But yes, their AF-C has improved a lot since the days it was of very limited use. Now they only need to find out how one can override the AF while not being in MF mode - that's hard to understand they didn't manage with their focus by wire lenses.
(05-27-2019, 06:57 PM)toni-a Wrote: I don't see this one as sports camera, and didn't see fuji marketing it that way. Although it's very capable it's not a sports or speed oriented camera like Canon 1Dx or Nikon D5.
However landscape and especially fashion photographers should be very very happy with this one.

No one said it is a sports camera .....

Fuji's presentation and their series of sports images was to show the world that the camera is "not just" restricted to landscape and fashion ...... which is the point.

and has a fully capable AF-C system that can capture some action, showing the camera is not just a one trick pony....
   .....  of course they were not trying to suggest it is a one to one replacement for a D5 or a 1DX ....

........... however, they want to show that it can be shot like most modern cameras ...... which sets it apart from your Hassleblads and Leafs!
(05-27-2019, 10:12 PM)JJ_SO Wrote:
(05-27-2019, 11:26 AM)davidmanze Wrote: When Fuji set their minds to it ...... it looks as if they can do anything ...

Anything? Check their remote app and you'll see what they still can't do.

And to add a bit of a mean comment: It's not too complicated to get a good hit rate with comparatively slow lenses Big Grin But yes, their AF-C has improved a lot since the days it was of very limited use. Now they only need to find out how one can override the AF while not being in MF mode - that's hard to understand they didn't manage with their focus by wire lenses.

Almost anything !! Smile