Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Damn ...
I wasn't really planning to test L mount ... but ... the Sigma FP ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5e580-K...e=youtu.be
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Clickbaitment! Tongue

Judging by the thread title I was fearing to find something like "I dropped a Zeiss Otus lens into the Sydney harbour" (or thereabouts) inside. Thank God it's something a little bit more benign. Smile
No ads here. ;-) Can't earn anything from teasing.

Microsoft had surface idea long before Apple but Apple made iPad first, somebody in medium format (don't remember if it was fuji or Hasselblad) had the modular camera idea, Sigma made it real.
Very interesting concept, however we have no clue about its sensor performance or autofocus, thumbs up for Sigma for innovation
(07-11-2019, 06:38 PM)toni-a Wrote: Microsoft had surface idea long before Apple but Apple made iPad first, somebody in medium format (don't remember if it was fuji or Hasselblad) had the modular camera idea, Sigma made it real.
Very interesting concept, however we have no clue about its sensor performance or autofocus, thumbs up for Sigma for innovation

No, Toni. Microsoft had the very very bad and crappy tablet idea long before Apple had the good iPad idea. The Microsoft Tablet PC idea was just silly, making for very cumbersome nonsense products, since 2003.

Apple actually thought things through, and made a well implemented tablet based on iOS, a well designed mobile OS.

Microsoft was blown away by the big success of the iPad (just like they had been blown away by the success of the iPhone), and reacted by the also quite cumbersome Surface products in 2012.

Not sure what the innovation is what we see in that video? Adding a "view finder" loupe to the LCD screen? Those things were the "solution" for the 2013 EOS M since its introduction too. The rest of what we see is standard stuff for video applications with DSLR/mirrorless photo gear too....
(07-12-2019, 08:04 AM)Brightcolours Wrote:
(07-11-2019, 06:38 PM)toni-a Wrote: Microsoft had surface idea long before Apple but Apple made iPad first, somebody in medium format (don't remember if it was fuji or Hasselblad) had the modular camera idea, Sigma made it real.

Not sure what the innovation is what we see in that video? Adding a "view finder" loupe to the LCD screen? Those things were the "solution" for the 2013 EOS M since its introduction too. The rest of what we see is standard stuff for video applications with DSLR/mirrorless photo gear too....

I think the video has so many stupidly short cuts that it needs to be watched in slo-mo, but even then the "fortissimo pianissimo" will not become a "vegan steak".

It's like a big GoPro with hot-air chimney and a couple of tripod sockets around the body. And it can record directly to an SSD, that's sort of innovative. And it takes DNGs. And it can record animated GIFs with stable background.

And it can use Leica SL- and Panasonic L-mount glass - for the ones who need the best on the craziest.

I wonder BC, how you would draw an innovative camera? I lost the sketchpapers over time, but some 30 years ago I also found the camera concepts rather dull. My sketch looked like a Canon EOS 1d as far as I can remember, so I wonder where that sketchpaper went to...

After all, "innovative" was never the only reason to buy a product.

It has to be cool, too. Or in other words, it has to have a hot-air chimney. It could be so much worse. Or even look like a Pentax...

Big Grin
The thing that disappoints me the most is this Sigma L-mount roadmap:
https://www.panasonicff.com/wp-content/u...admap.jpeg

Just transformed DSLR lenses and a couple of APS-C lenses (for whatever reason).

The APS-C lenses are made for Canon EOS M.

I don't think, Sigma has the resources to build up a whole new line from scratch - because if they had, there would be even less a reason that Nikon will not have more S-lenses at the end of the year than Sigma, and Nikon has an edge of at least one year.

Even if Sigma comes out with a new FF-ML line, I doubt they would be compact and lightweight. And no matter how disappointed some of us are (I see Nikon as the weak slouch behind the others on this field): so far I can't see a photographic project which today is impossible because of slow lens design.
That Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC DN is a tad late to the EF-M party, with Canon offering the rather nice EF-M 32mm f1.4 IS STM. But that 16mm f1.4 and 56mm f1.4 will be welcome additions to the EOS M platform.
I don't think the Canon has IS. Other than that, you're right but since neither of these lenses have been tested here, I'm not sure which one is better than the other.