Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Canon 35-105f3.5-4.5
(08-14-2019, 09:30 AM)Brightcolours Wrote:
(08-13-2019, 09:25 PM)Klaus Wrote: Well, at least it would be fun to know how bad it gets with a 1987-era lens on a 30mp mirrorless camera ;-)

Especially a 1987 standard zoom "kit" lens. Primes from the 80's still can give pretty good IQ (depending on the model of course).

Indeed, if shallow DOF is not a consideration and "modern" FF glass is considered to be too big or heavy, I too would look at APS-C and not FF. The soon to be introduced EOS m% mk II, perhaps (because of the Canon ergonomics), or maybe a Sony or Fuji model because of a certain lens in their line up?

It's not like you can't get decently shallow ("pro-looking") DOF with APS-C and the right lenses anyway... Sure if the format feels limiting I think the user is either in an elite 5-10%, or doing something wrong, or would be better off with TS lenses and/or medium format in the long run.
(08-14-2019, 12:18 PM)toni-a Wrote: thanks folks, Sony guys have 28-70f3.5-5.6....
Seems I will have to wait for such a lens in RF mount, was planning on keeping just RP, I think I could still make good use, of my 750D plus kit or Sony A6000 plus kit when large aperture and high ISO are not an issue (like hiking trips in bright sunshine)
pictures taken with 750D plus kit in bright sunlight are as good in quality to what RP plus 24-105 produces, Sony 16-50 is fine at the tele end rather so so at the wide end
I did not check the RP specs, but with the R you can actually use EFS lenses with the adapter as well, no problem. I would expect with, e.g., the 750D kit lens that at a certain point in the zoom range, say 32 to 33 mm, the entire frame on FF would be covered. Maybe that is at least a temporary option Wink. Certainly something to try out if you’d ask me.

I actually got myself a couple of Leica lenses last week, to have smaller, lighter options, but I exchanged those today - bad magenta colouring at the edges, so a definite no go. Essentially a similar problem Leica users without the special filters had, and essentially caused by the way these lenses are constructed, with rather large angles of attack for the light rays hitting the sensor.

So for now, barring the RF 35 F/1.8 Macro, I have given up and will just wait patiently for smaller / lighter lenses to

And I exchanged those two Leica lenses, which I got used, for the complete opposite Smile, an RF 85L. Considering I used the old EF 85L for half of my shots over the weekend, I reckon it was worthwhile anyway. Also, that particular lens weighs about the same as the old one, but is just bulkier in build, is quite a bit better at large apertures (which is what I used it for anyway), and focuses faster and silently as well. Planned on getting my money back, but couldn’t resist, although I still got a handful of euros as well <ROFL>.

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
Folks don't get me wrong, I am using EOSRP with 16-28f2.8, 85f1.8 100mm macro and 24-105 quite frequently, I do need full frame, the issue is I frequently go on hiking trips, when hiking every gram counts, and in bright sunshine I use nothing but ISO 100 and medium apertures, so just for those trips my EOSRP , isn't convenient.
I guess my best alternative is keeping either 750D or Sony A6000 plus kit lens, they are more than enough for the job (except Sony 16-50 is rather mediocre at 16mm though)
(08-14-2019, 10:45 PM)toni-a Wrote: Folks don't get me wrong, I am using EOSRP with 16-28f2.8, 85f1.8 100mm macro and 24-105 quite frequently, I do need full frame, the issue is I frequently go on hiking trips, when hiking every gram counts, and in bright sunshine I use nothing but ISO 100 and medium apertures, so just for those trips my EOSRP , isn't convenient.
I guess my best alternative is keeping either 750D or Sony A6000 plus kit lens, they are more than enough for the job (except Sony 16-50 is rather mediocre at 16mm though)

Hi toni-a,

What is your weight limit?

As to modern lenses, there is the EF 24-105 F3.5-5.6 IS STM, which weighs 525 grams and is a very decent lens, there is the EF-S 15-85 F3.5-5.6 IS STM at 575 grams, and the EF-S 18-135 F3.5-5.6 IS STM at 480 grams.

Another potential one at 465 grams could be the Sigma 17-70 F/2.8-4.0 DC Macro OS HSM Macro Contemporary, or maybe even the Tamron 17-50 mm F/.2.8 SP Di II at 430 grams.

Anything else zoomlens wise is all over 500 grams; that seems to be some kind of optimum.

For Sony I can’t find anything really that will fit the request other than an 18-55.

An alternative could be one, or two, of the smaller Canon primes. The EF 40 F/2.8 and the EF-S 24 F/2.8 come to mind, f.e. You’re limited with those, as they are not zooms obviously, but they certainly are light and small.

HTH, kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....