Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
iShoot tripod collar for SEL70200G: quality?
More or less in this season, a few years ago, I dropped my SEL70200G, splitting it in two. It was repaired by a Sony authorised partner and it works as new. But they didn't replace the tripod collar: apparently it was just a bit bumped, nothing more. It has been fine for a year, then the knob started loosing grip. Fine for shooting on the tripod, but I use it also to carry the lens+camera hanging from a shoulder strap mount: if it inadvertently opens, I'd break the lens again. I had it fixed by a friend of a friend who warned me it was only giving a few more months o life. Now it's the end, and I have to replace it.

Some time ago I looked at the original replacement from Sony and it costed about 200 €. Now I can't find it again, anyway I suppose the price didn't drop; but there's an equivalent from iShoot, much cheaper:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Camera-Collar-7...07X1NP9Z5/

(note that the actual cost is 33£ + 40£ for delivery, still cheaper than the original).

It sports a built-in Arca-style mount, which for me is fine. The problem is that I never bought stuff from iShoot and I don't know how reliable is. Do you have some experience?

I'm a bit annoyed by the non-transparent pricing from the vendor (classic reduction of the apparent price compensated by an exaggerated delivery price), but in the end it's Amazon so I can easily return it...
stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
How about 12.84 €?

https://www.gumptrade.com/14020001401.html

I don't know about the quality of that specific collar, but in general their mechanical quality is "well made copies".
Interesting. Thanks.
stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
I should get it in a few days. Interesting that this chinese trader has a dispatch facility in Germany, so delivery time and cost are reduced.
stoppingdown.net

(09-07-2019, 08:35 AM)stoppingdown Wrote: I should get it in a few days. Interesting that this chinese trader has a dispatch facility in Germany, so delivery time and cost are reduced.

When I order cheap Chinese stuff from China via eBay, the delivery costs are way lower than when I order something in my country or Germany...
(09-08-2019, 05:28 PM)Brightcolours Wrote:
(09-07-2019, 08:35 AM)stoppingdown Wrote: I should get it in a few days. Interesting that this Chinese trader has a dispatch facility in Germany, so delivery time and cost are reduced.

When I order cheap Chinese stuff from China via eBay, the delivery costs are way lower than when I order something in my country or Germany...

Mostly free !! ........ China has a very clever postal system where much is free on the way out ..... but very expensive on the way back to China.....

........ just when you were looking for a repair for a faulty product !!
(09-09-2019, 06:18 AM)davidmanze Wrote:  ........ just when you were looking for a repair for a faulty product !! 
You got faulty products?  Undecided

Stop doing so.  Big Grin
Well, you can go for a €300 tripod collar and hope it breaks within the warranty period, or a cheap one with free postage and not care about the warranty period because of the price. I know which one I will choose ;-).

I did buy my EOS M in 2013 from Germany via eBay, and its 18-55mm and 22mm f2 lenses from Asian eBay sources ridiculously cheaply, and chose not to worry about warranty stuff at all. It would be different if I were to buy an EOS 90D right now, I would of course not get one from Asia for $100 euros less.
(09-09-2019, 08:18 AM)Brightcolours Wrote: Well, you can go for a €300 tripod collar and hope it breaks within the warranty period, or a cheap one with free postage and not care about the warranty period because of the price. I know which one I will choose ;-).

Agree... with the exception that in my case if the collar breaks it could make the lens fall on the ground. In any case the Chinese thing is so cheap that a try is worth while and I should be able to evaluate if it can be trusted or not.
stoppingdown.net

I got at some point a lot of this Mengs/Gumptrade stuff. It's rather simple - if the quality is poor, it will be obviously and visibly poor and you would not use it. Else than that I never had a problem with their plates, L-brackets or other stuff. They are really good in copying and at some time even improving: I've seen the "rock claws" from RRS. Gumptrade has them as well, and in a better quality, 3 pieces cost less than one from RRS and they are really much better than spikes. Also, a set of tripod screws or spigots - it's no rocket science to produce them and the prices are reasonable.