Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
iphone 11 Pro ...
* "13mm f/2.4"
* "26mm f/1.8"
* "52mm f/2"

It'll hurt the camera manufacturers once again ...
And it does, of course, raise the question of how much longer it makes sense for us to continue.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
(09-10-2019, 06:34 PM)Klaus Wrote: * "13mm f/2.4"
* "26mm f/1.8"
* "52mm f/2"

And it does, of course, raise the question of how much longer it makes sense for us to continue.

With "us" you mean Opticallimits? Respectively Klaus, because Markus must have had a premonition two years ago... yes, why continuing, the new lenses are either boring or super good or both. Where's the sense in this. You could rename the site into equivalence limits, that has to be the new trend...

If you think the future of photography is a smartphone with 3 lenses costing 1000$, then it's better to stop all activities. I don't think so, and I'm used to buy Nikon glass uniformed bei OL. 

The nice side of a hobby is, one can always stop enjoying it. And as ou often said, it's more of a hobby... feel free to quit it. I won't blame you. I'm also in a kind of quitting mood and I know these days happen sometimes.

When was the last time you reviewed an outstanding UWA? In smaller than FF format? Yes, with a lot of help from software, the iPhone will lie some "great" pictures and fancy visual pollution to channels like Instangram. I still prefer a camera without an address book and without a microphone which is constantly listening.
I will keep reading until I drop, that's for sure.
(09-10-2019, 09:44 PM)JJ_SO Wrote:
(09-10-2019, 06:34 PM)Klaus Wrote: * "13mm f/2.4"
* "26mm f/1.8"
* "52mm f/2"

With "us" you mean Opticallimits? Respectively Klaus, because Markus must have had a premonition two years ago... yes, why continuing, the new lenses are either boring or super good or both. Where's the sense in this. You could rename the site into equivalence limits, that has to be the new trend...

If you think the future of photography is a smartphone with 3 lenses costing 1000$, then it's better to stop all activities. I don't think so, and I'm used to buy Nikon glass uniformed bei OL. 

The nice side of a hobby is, one can always stop enjoying it. And as ou often said, it's more of a hobby... feel free to quit it. I won't blame you. I'm also in a kind of quitting mood and I know these days happen sometimes.

When was the last time you reviewed an outstanding UWA? In smaller than FF format? Yes, with a lot of help from software, the iPhone will lie some "great" pictures and fancy visual pollution to channels like Instangram. I still prefer a camera without an address book and without a microphone which is constantly listening.

JJ, your sarcasm is mildly entertaining. However, it doesn't change the fact that it requires money to operate this site. It is one thing to do it as a hobby but the end of the line is reached once we'd need our private money to keep it alive and kicking. This site is alive because of readers and if the whole market erodes, the same happens to our reader base.

And, yes, it's still a "we" here because even although Markus may be mostly invisible to us, he's handling all the tax aspects thus freeing me from doing reviews.

It is true, of course, that not all lenses are interesting to me personally. Some still are though - the Sigma 45mm for instance and all the exotics, of course. Less so the next 50mm f/1.4.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
It was not all sarcasm, Klaus. I had a day ending in checking the market for another job, so your "eventually quitting" was my interpretation and just the expression I would use as short description of this Tuesday. 

And no matter what Markus does beside the official appearance as lens reviewer: No Nikon reviews since long time at least keeps Nikon users away from "only" checking in, because after a while not seeing news gives no reason to come in more often. I can see that on the also interesting lenscore.org which also stopped bringing new reviews or better said "just data" of new lenses around the time Markus stopped reviewing. The same with lensrentals - Sometimes an article of Roger surfaces, but the rest of it is more of gap fillers.

You in Australia, he in Europe - that alone is a challenge to master. Manufacturers sticking to old recipes (more this or that will keep some customers) and coming up with new product lines nobody knows how long the manufacturers will produce them. How long are you guys running Photozone/OL now? And still no YT channel? Like it or not, but there are some, if not most of us readers, checking "only" a lens and discovering more content. I still prefer well written words, but apparently I'm part of a minority.
Unfortunately, this isn't the way most here would like to see things .......... decent photography transformed into the lowest common denominator ......

.... the iphone ........

OMFG !!
(09-11-2019, 05:55 AM)davidmanze Wrote: Unfortunately, this isn't the way most here would like to see things .......... decent photography transformed into the lowest common denominator  ......

.... the iphone ........

OMFG !!

Horses for courses, dave - I see it always the way for the right tool - check out the channels where the most photographs are flooding in - for selfies you don't need anything else than a phone.
That's all the more unfair since we're now apparently living in a golden age of photography (I know it can get better but am not sure in which way, so I'm inclined to treat it as the zenith). So many beautiful new lens designs are on the market, many of them both unique and readily available now. The camera capabilities are evolving too, though not really in giant steps. Of course it's all a lot more expensive than basic gear but then again, the gap has always been there.
(09-11-2019, 06:17 AM)JJ_SO Wrote:
(09-11-2019, 05:55 AM)davidmanze Wrote: Unfortunately, this isn't the way most here would like to see things .......... decent photography transformed into the lowest common denominator  ......

.... the iphone ........

OMFG !!

Horses for courses, dave - I see it always the way for the right tool - check out the channels where the most photographs are flooding in - for selfies you don't need anything else than a phone.

Frankly JoJu, I have zero interest in checking out where most of the photos are flooding in .........

So, the ultimate yardstick of modern expression is the selfie !

May God have mercy upon our souls ........ amen.
I was walking the dog yesterday morning. It was sunny in the park, and I came across what appeared to be a small wedding/engagement party with a couple in dark blue and a man in a suit making photos of them with... a cellphone.

Maybe a lack of budget for a real photographer, maybe a lack of artistic feel. Well, I have had people ask me if I could make the photos for their weddings once or twice, and I have always (tried to) explain(ed) that I do not have the abilities to be a good wedding photographer, and the results would not have been better than those of the cellphone guy yesterday. For other reasons than the used camera.

I must say that for a cellphone the new iPhone 11Pro has a very neat camera.