Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
iphone 11 Pro ...
(09-11-2019, 06:51 AM)Brightcolours Wrote: I was walking the dog yesterday morning. It was sunny in the park, and I came across what appeared to be a small wedding/engagement party with a couple in dark blue and a man in a suit making photos of them with... a cellphone.

Maybe a lack of budget for a real photographer, maybe a lack of artistic feel. Well, I have had people ask me if I could make the photos for their weddings once or twice, and I have always (tried to) explain(ed) that I do not have the abilities to be a good wedding photographer, and the results would not have been better than those of the cellphone guy yesterday. For other reasons than the used camera.

camera used.
Thanks, Dave ;-)
For a selfie you need a selfone (cellphone ist just wrong spelling... Big Grin ) and apparently it's satisfying the needs of most of today's photo content producers. Come on, dave, even you use a mirror form time to time. The selfie is nothing else than a mobile mirror of myself, the confirmation of my existence in front of something interesting. Occasionally the selfie shooter diminish their numbers by killing themselves while selfieing.

My question only is: how many of them would have bought a "serious" camera with a couple of "serious" lenses, if there were no smartphones around? Maybe once an entry level DLSR with a kit lens on it for a special holiday occasion - if that's what creates the nowadays missed sales numbers, then it had affected the photomarket - by sales numbers, but not necessarily by visitors of a lens review site.

That's for the two owners of the site: Leaning back and keep reviewing lenses while hoping the continuously growing photo industry would flush in new readers might not do the trick. But there are still enough places in the WWW where interested photographers are going to, be it of entertaining reasons or getting more information than elsewhere. So, it is still possible to attract those who buy the reviewed lenses. That lenscore site has no forum and is dead - you have and at times an active one. It's your call to go on or leave it there after so many years - but decreasing sales numbers as excuse? I don't buy it. These numbers affect all other content producers as well.
I think you have a point, JoJu. PZ's height of popularity coincided with when for most platforms there was a regular stream of lens reviews. When you are now wondering how new lenses compare with other things, you can't really turn to OL. Due to the very different sensor resolutions used in reviews, or the simple lack of reviewing. If you want to keep a website viable, you do have to take the content creation serious. But I am sure those taxes are hell.
Selfies are fine for the beautiful people and the young ....... having fun and keeping in touch .....

.... but when you have a mug like mine ..... the last thing you want is to be reminded of it ... Smile

PS. What is the sensor size of the Iphone 11? .... given the forum tradition here, what do we get in F stop DOF equivalency from these lenses?

13mm f/2.4"
26mm f/1.8"
52mm f/2"
Sensor sizes are not published, nor the focal lengths of the lenses. And the DOF gets changed with software, if you want to.
All that is published are the FF equivalent focal lengths and the max aperture diameters. And that the sensors deliver 12mp. And that the FF equivalent 26mm wide and 52mm "tele" have OIS (OIS on iOS...) and the number of elements of each lens.
(09-11-2019, 07:05 AM)JJ_SO Wrote: For a selfie you need a selfone (cellphone ist just wrong spelling... Big Grin ) and apparently it's satisfying the needs of most of today's photo content producers. Come on, dave, even you use a mirror form time to time. The selfie is nothing else than a mobile mirror of myself, the confirmation of my existence in front of something interesting. Occasionally the selfie shooter diminish their numbers by killing themselves while selfieing.

My question only is: how many of them would have bought a "serious" camera with a couple of "serious" lenses, if there were no smartphones around? Maybe once an entry level DLSR with a kit lens on it for a special holiday occasion - if that's what creates the nowadays missed sales numbers, then it had affected the photomarket - by sales numbers, but not necessarily by visitors of a lens review site.

That's for the two owners of the site: Leaning back and keep reviewing lenses while hoping the continuously growing photo industry would flush in new readers might not do the trick. But there are still enough places in the WWW where interested photographers are going to, be it of entertaining reasons or getting more information than elsewhere. So, it is still possible to attract those who buy the reviewed lenses. That lenscore site has no forum and is dead - you have and at times an active one. It's your call to go on or leave it there after so many years - but decreasing sales numbers as excuse? I don't buy it. These numbers affect all other content producers as well.

This is an interesting point. I also doubt that most of the people who use smartphones exclusively would ever have used OL. People who use sites like OL are serious amateur photographers and "up". With the birth of the digital cameras, coinciding with the rise of the internet (i.e. being able to host web sites easily), the serious photographers could start to consult the internet (instead of print magazines) - this of course was a huge boom phase, and a lot of catch-up to do with tests for all the lenses from the film days. Now the market has really matured, no major break-throughs. I'm pretty much set with my lenses, I don't change every year (and I don't change phones every year, btw note that the phone market is slowing as well). New lenses start to be great, but also big and heavy, so not interesting for me - I'm only getting older, not stronger. Still it means that after the boom phase, a site like OL will drop to a lower steady state visitor level. Further to remain relevant, lens tests need to be coming in, the more the better. So, I think there is a market, but it is perhaps not as easy as it used to be.
My view of photozone has never as a lenses testing site.
It was a zone for hobbyists to learn and exchange, maybe getting back to the roots,?
I'm always watching the gear tourists are using out there (and lately there's been loads of tourists around, each year we're getting more and more of 'em). I'm seeing all kinds of gears - from cellphones to Canon 1D cameras, including even the - long considered extinct - small compact cameras and bridge cameras (today I even saw what looked like good ol' Sony F717). There's loads of basic DSLRs and what looks like Sony E mount mirrorless cameras, mostly with the 16-50 PZ lens. Not much Fuji gear though. So I guess it's too early to pronounce the cameras dead (also remember that IPhones are always an expensive offering, top of the line ones especially so).
(09-11-2019, 08:35 AM)davidmanze Wrote:     PS. What is the sensor size of the Iphone 11? .... given the forum tradition here, what do we get in F stop DOF equivalency from these lenses?
(09-11-2019, 09:06 AM)Brightcolours Wrote: Sensor sizes are not published, nor the focal lengths of the lenses.

EXIF data from my iPhone X is 4mm focal length and 28mm 35mm-equivalent.
Sensel size in the iPhone XS 26mm camera is 1.4µm according to https://petapixel.com/2018/09/19/iphone-...e-changes/