Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Z50 in the lab soon
No mechanical shutter? So with z50 and 16-50 it is almost impossible to shoot fast moving subjects?

Does it feature a sensor cleaning feature?

I have an x-t20 and i was interested in this z50 but i think it's better not to change. btw, i really like mine except for fast change of parameters (e.g. moviment to P iso auto from M fixed iso is slooow).
The Z50 does not have a sensor cleaning feature (unlike the FX Z cameras).

Regarding the shutter: in the custom functions menu 'd4' you can choose between fully mechanical shutter or electronic front curtain shutter. Or, let the camera choose 'depending on the shooting conditions'... however neither the manual nor the camera help texts give any hint under what conditions the camera chooses which shutter type.

Also, by setting the camera to 'silent shooting' in the shooting menu, you can force the camera to use a fully electronic shutter.

When the 16-50 VR is mounted, the mechanical shutter option is greyed out in custom function d4, so I assume with this lens the only available choices are either eletronic front curtain or fully electronic shutter (by enabling silent mode).

Regarding your X-T20: I don't see any advantage in moving to a Z50. The 16-50 is a cheap plastic kit zoom, there are no dedicated DX primes, so if you're into primes you'd have to carry the rather big and heavy FX ones, much bigger than the 'Fujicrons'. And lastly: I don't think you'd be faster switching from manual ISO to auto-ISO on the Z50 Wink

Talking about it: you can set the Fn-button on the X-T20 do bring up ISO-choices... including 'AUTO' at the bottom of the list. Seems like a very fast way to switch to me.
Editor
opticallimits.com

On the Fuji X-T20, it's very quick to switch from auto ISO to any manual ISO: just push the back dial. It will display the various ISO as well as 3 custom ISO modes where you can predefine values for mininum shutter speed and max ISO value.
I don't see how it can be done any faster than this.
It's one feature of the X-T20 I find great, better than other cameras I've used before (whether Nikon, Olympus, Pentax or Panasonic).
--Florent

Flickr gallery
(12-21-2019, 08:19 PM)thxbb12 Wrote: On the Fuji X-T20, it's very quick to switch from auto ISO to any manual ISO: just push the back dial. It will display the various ISO as well as 3 custom ISO modes where you can predefine values for mininum shutter speed and max ISO value.

Then you likely set this function for the rear dial, as I suggested for the Fn-button above. AFAIK most of the Fn-buttons can be adjusted to set ISO (or many other things). The default behaviour when pushing the rear dial is focus check, though (on the X-T30 too, btw).

Still, fully agree: there is likely no faster way to switch ISO. And the Fujifilm cameras a highly customizable. Not something Nikon can claim for the Z50 Wink
Editor
opticallimits.com

On my X-T20 this was the default behaviour, I didn't change it.
Another thing I really like with Fuji is the Q menu where you can choose to put whatever settings that needs to be quickly changed on a single screen.
I find it super useful to quickly change the most used settings and also to see the overall settings at once glance.
--Florent

Flickr gallery
(12-21-2019, 08:29 PM)mst Wrote: Still, fully agree: there is likely no faster way to switch ISO. And the Fujifilm cameras a highly customizable. Not something Nikon can claim for the Z50 Wink

Hahaha. "Highly customizable", good one.

Highly redundant, I'd say. 

Even more so as my wish, to show me how I can control the aperture by the otherwise plain useless front-dial of my X-T2 kept no less than 4 Fuji guys busy for roughly 20 minutes when they tried to reset, to crawl through the menus and finally, after 20 minutes and still no success blamed the firmware for it which I haven't update for the last and only time as it said it's only to make the camera compatible to the 200/2 which I never ever will buy at the same price I can get a FF version for Nikon. After firmware update there still was no aperture control for the front dial. Blaaah.

Now, that Auto-ISO you brag about - did you ever look for the 3 different "Auto-ISO" settings? Deep in the menus? And only being able to set a minimum shutter speed independently from focal length or OIS setting? Nikon does a so much better job on this, I'm sorry for you two blind enough to not recognize it.

How mindboggingly stupid the developers of the Fuji menus are is already out of the range of my scale of "acceptable". An electronic level hidden in the very last corner of their settings-zoo, 4 major firmware updates and still crap, holes and gaps in usability. I know one cannot discuss this with "true" Fuji fanboys. But Fuji's menus is what makes their cameras worse than they need to be. Custom settings as banks or as user settings? No, for each different situation you have to run through the full menu to change what in other cameras is a slight turn of a mode dial or a top menu item. User setting to format a card? what? to clean the sensor?
To my knowledge, on the X-T2 aperture control with the front dial only works with lenses that do not have a dedicated aperture ring.

I was referring to the current 3rd generation of Fujifilm bodies, where this is different. And yes, they are highly customizable. For example, up to 3 functions can be assigned to the front dial (including aperture control), one can quickly cycle through them by just pressing the front dial (long press it to quickly access the setup menu for the dial).

And yes, I find the AUTO-ISO on the X-T30 far superior over the implementation in the Z50 (not Nikon in general). There are three profiles available, so you can create one for wide, normal and tele. Yes, it's 'deep in the menus'... as it is on the Nikon, too (even though to me it's just a different menu structure compared to Nikon, not necessarily a worse one).

The Z50 has only one Auto-ISO profile, it's not focal length dependent. Also, unlike on the X-T30, you can not set a default ISO, just maximum ISO and minimum shutter speed, that's it. I'm sorry I seem to be too blind to see the superiority of this approach Wink
Editor
opticallimits.com

Auto-ISO has to be exposure time-focal length dependent, and I think the Nikons do that? So, a need for different profiles for wide/normal/tele does not really make sense.
(12-22-2019, 12:35 PM)Brightcolours Wrote: Auto-ISO has to be exposure time-focal length dependent, and I think the Nikons do that? So, a need for different profiles for wide/normal/tele does not really make sense.

You're right, BC, I stand corrected: the Z50 picks a minimum exposure time depending on the focal length currently used, I just tried. Unlike with other current Nikons, it's just not explicitly described in the manual that way.

Out of curiosity, I did the same test with the X-T30, too, and surprise: same here, exposure time is focal length dependent, too. So, one can use the three profiles in a different way.
Editor
opticallimits.com

(12-22-2019, 11:34 AM)mst Wrote: To my knowledge, on the X-T2 aperture control with the front dial only works with lenses that do not have a dedicated aperture ring.

I was referring to the current 3rd generation of Fujifilm bodies, where this is different. And yes, they are highly customizable. For example, up to 3 functions can be assigned to the front dial (including aperture control), one can quickly cycle through them by just pressing the front dial (long press it to quickly access the setup menu for the dial).

And yes, I find the AUTO-ISO on the X-T30 far superior over the implementation in the Z50 (not Nikon in general). There are three profiles available, so you can create one for wide, normal and tele. Yes, it's 'deep in the menus'... as it is on the Nikon, too (even though to me it's just a different menu structure compared to Nikon, not necessarily a worse one).

The Z50 has only one Auto-ISO profile, it's not focal length dependent. Also, unlike on the X-T30, you can not set a default ISO, just maximum ISO and minimum shutter speed, that's it. I'm sorry I seem to be too blind to see the superiority of this approach Wink

Yes, I need to make a difference between the Z6 / 7 (with good and easy to use and set-up Auto ISO) and the Z 50 with it's limitations. Therefore you're not too blind I was just too lazy to dive in the Z50 manual. It's not too fair to compare a very new ML APS-C Nikon against a system which is nearly 10 years in the market and has a wide lens range. I cannot recall wether Auto-ISO was much better implemented in their D5xxx series?

X-T3 and X-H1 have the feature that you can control aperture with the front-dial once you turned the aperture ring to A. This would have been helpful with the heavy 100-400.

On the Nikons I use different Auto-ISO (lower / higher value and als various values for shutter speed to focal length relation) settings which then become part of a bank / user setting - which no Fuji has. That's what makes the change of settings a very unpleasant experience for me. Also, if I need to remember which values I set for Auto-ISO 1, 2, 3 and need to dive even deeper into the menu to find out, I feel that's a poor concept. Each Nikon I can adapt quicker to other shooting needs than I can set up any Fuji.

So, even if it's true the Auto-ISO options might be more on the Fuji side, the Nikon still has U1/U2. And iMenu and myMenu as well - I don't see the Q-menu of the Fuji as better, as some options I frequently needed cannot be assigned to it - the bloody electronic level is one example. But I hear, the got better in their later cameras. I just don't see why this bit cannot be improved by a Kaizen update?