Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
And the 12-45mm f/4 PRO
I don't think we need to make this a "us vs. them" kind of discussion. If someone uses FF equivalents, it does not necessarily mean that this person is a FF user at all (well, I am) or a FF only user (I am not). FF equivalency helps those who have grown up or got accustomed to a given way of numerical classification to get a better feeling for what a lens not designed for FF does actually offer, both in terms of focal length and aperture. It's the same thing anyone does who has grown up with either Fahrenheit or Celcius, grams or ounces, centimeters or inches, cups or milliliters, hp or kW, when confronted with values from "the other side" or SI values.

I understand that there are photographic use cases where this lens may be attractive. However, given the already existing choices and the potentially quite high price for this new lens (since it's classified as a pro lens) I see similarly attractive options both within the mFT universe as well as the nearest competition, which to me seems to be any dedicated APS-C system.
Editor
opticallimits.com

So which weather-sealed "24-xx" lens has a weight of 254g?

There are just two that I can think of which come sort-of close - the Panasonic 12-35/2.8 and the Leica 12-60/2.8-4.

Of course, FF users don't care about weight and bulk. :-)

You can also ask - why is there a market for a mini cooper? Small, expensive ...
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
(02-01-2020, 11:21 PM)Klaus Wrote: You can also ask - why is there a market for a mini cooper? Small, expensive ...

...but also fast Wink
Editor
opticallimits.com

(02-01-2020, 11:58 PM)mst Wrote:
(02-01-2020, 11:21 PM)Klaus Wrote: You can also ask - why is there a market for a mini cooper? Small, expensive ...

...but also fast Wink

Not by full format car standards. ;-)

So, who actually needs weather sealed lenses? Quite a pointless feature for almost everyone, to be frank. f8 FF equivalent makes it not that interesting for many, and it is not cheap?
I have a hard time to believe that I'm the only one on the planet requiring a super-compact, weather-sealed mirrorless camera kit.

However, I give you that - Olympus & Panasonic sets are comparatively overpriced. Especially their cameras.
I reckon the "problem" is that the price for the sensor is insignificant compared to the rest (viewfinder, CPU/DSP, mechanics) by now - thus an M5 III can't be much cheaper than an EOS RP/Z6 if at all. As mentioned - that's comparable to a Mini Cooper.

Do you require a weather sealed lens? Or is it just a feeling. How many non-weather sealed lenses have you had broken by weather?

The sensors (especially big ones) still are the most pricy part to produce, compared to other parts. How the costs are development wise, i don't know.
So we are there again, some people will not see the benefit with small lenses. Good, they don´t have to buy them.
(02-02-2020, 08:54 AM)goran h Wrote: So we are there again, some people will not see the benefit with small lenses. Good, they don´t have e to buy them.

That wasn't the point really. I own and regularly use small lenses. And some even aren't FF lenses Wink

(02-02-2020, 12:43 AM)Klaus Wrote:
(02-01-2020, 11:58 PM)mst Wrote:

...but also fast Wink

Not by full format car standards. ;-)

If full format car standard is a straight highway, then no, not by that standard Wink
Editor
opticallimits.com

(02-02-2020, 05:43 AM)Klaus Wrote: I have a hard time to believe that I'm the only one on the planet requiring a super-compact, weather-sealed mirrorless camera kit.

You are not the only one. There are at least two. :-)

Smaller size matters to me, as it means I can have photo gear with me more often. Being prime guy, I do most I need with two primes. With more than enough of DOF control. Portraits with 1.7/45 or 1.4/56 do work. ;-)

Weathersealing: I do miss it on GX9. Last winter I did manage to get GX80 too wet. It started to malfunction. After several unsuccessful attempts to dry it out I got a new GX9. Funny enough, after I left GX80 in a box of rice for further few months, it did dry out. Now it works.