Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Camera models conundrum
A good analysis  by Thom Hogan on manufacturers' camera models:
http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/2020...ndrum.html
--Florent

Flickr gallery
Honestly, I don't understand what's wrong with having many different models in the lineup.
I, for one, would appreciate having the choice between a thousand different models.
If I was in the market for a Porsche, I could customize everything to death. Why not applyI' the same logic to cameras?
I couldn't care less for video - thus I don't need the processing power and the required heat sink (which make the body bigger than necessary.
I'd like to have a bigger grip on the X-T30. 3.7mio OLED viewfinder minimum. I don't need a swivel screen. I'd add fat rubberized shielding everywhere.
I'd also like to name it the Klaus-1 Ultra. etc. pp.
So why can't I configure MY perfect camera in the year 2020 with all the supposedly flexible production lines?
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
(02-25-2020, 09:28 AM)Klaus Wrote: Honestly, I don't understand what's wrong with having many different models in the lineup.
I, for one, would appreciate having the choice between a thousand different models.
If I was in the market for a Porsche, I could customize everything to death. Why not applyI' the same logic to cameras?
I couldn't care less for video - thus I don't need the processing power and the required heat sink (which make the body bigger than necessary.
I'd like to have a bigger grip on the X-T30. 3.7mio OLED viewfinder minimum. I don't need a swivel screen. I'd add fat rubberized shielding everywhere.
So why can't I configure MY perfect camera in the year 2020 with all the supposedly flexible production lines?

Why?

Because you won't pay double the price to get a custom made Fuji. And you would not accept to wait 2 months for it - as you would not be the only one who want to get HIS Fuji according to his specs, his hands and his mood at the moment of ordering. Lateron, when you realize what you forgot to order and will have to pay another 20% to change the order.

Just check for prices of custom made motorcylces, even bicylces, then you get your WHY.

I think that idea of having endless choices is a waste of resources and energy and has no place in a world where we should avoid to consume like a king back in the day.
I don't think that my thoughts are too exotic. I can also customize a Dell or a Lenovo Laptop to a certain degree - and in terms of scope, these aren't far off really and cheaper than less-configurable Macbooks.
If you compare the different camera models, it is also quite obvious that they share certain base components/modules already.

(02-25-2020, 09:58 AM)Klaus Wrote: I don't think that my thoughts are too exotic. I can also customize a Dell or a Lenovo Laptop to a certain degree - and in terms of scope, these aren't far off really and cheaper than less-configurable Macbooks.
If you compare the different camera models, it is also quite obvious that they share certain base components/modules already.

First question: Price difference of a customized laptop to a standard one?
Second question: Are you aware that's not only clicking in another RAM card, another graphic card into a camera?
A stupid ordinary laptop has tons of standard parts and also tons of standard connectors. Only integrated slim systems like MacObook Air (soldered RAM and processor...) come with smaller form factors. Your system will come as a super ugly behemoth, but okay, it needs some space to print "Klaus-1" on it Big Grin

Are you aware how much manual work still is involved to fabricate cameras?
Are you willing to pay the price for design adjustments to make the system modular enough - in terms of costs and aesthetics?
In consequence, you could choose CF cards, XQD, CFE, Micro SD, SD - one or two, or even opt for internal memory. How big does this body has to be to take all possible options? And how much space will be wasted just to reserve space for your choices?

Why don't you hop over to Fuji rumors and prep a poll to see how much people will follow your idea? And how much will find it as stupid as I do at this moment? Look at the Sigma SD 1 project with all it's modular choices, look at the total costs and the added weight because each option has a single own housing and connecting elements.
Back in the film days, many people were willing to pay for a booster or even viewfinder ...
Today you can at least buy vertical grips.
External flash units are nothing else but customizations. External mics ...
You can buy external viewfinders for some of the EOS M cameras.

It's not as if you can't customize your camera these days.
In all seriousness - why shouldn't it be possible to make the viewfinder modular?

Of course, I don't know the market size.
However, I think that we all have our no-goes when it comes to deciding on a camera. And why shouldn't it be in the interest of camera makers to provide solutions for "easy" aspects.

(02-25-2020, 09:35 AM)JJ_SO Wrote:
(02-25-2020, 09:28 AM)Klaus Wrote: Honestly, I don't understand what's wrong with having many different models in the lineup.
If I was in the market for a Porsche, I could customize everything to death. Why not apply the same logic to cameras?

Why?

Because you won't pay double the price to get a custom made Fuji. And you would not accept to wait 2 months for it - as you would not be the only one who want to get HIS Fuji according to his specs, his hands and his mood at the moment of ordering. Lateron, when you realize what you forgot to order and will have to pay another 20% to change the order.

Just check for prices of custom made motorcycles, even bicycles, then you get your WHY.

I think that idea of having endless choices is a waste of resources and energy and has no place in a world where we should avoid to consume like a king back in the day.
...... thousands of cameras ?? 

Somebody ring Lego ....... Smile
(02-25-2020, 11:07 AM)Klaus Wrote: Back in the film days, many people were willing to pay for a booster or even viewfinder ...  

In all seriousness - why shouldn't it be possible to make the viewfinder modular?

However, I think that we all have our no-goes when it comes to deciding on a camera. And why shouldn't it be in the interest of camera makers to provide solutions for "easy" aspects.

Modular accessories? Here I'm with you. I'd also like to see interchangeable sensors, EVF, LCD. If that (adding stuff to a camera) was you idea in the beginning, I obviously misunderstood your idea completely.

But as you're also a big fan of "weather sealing", you might ask yourself if you're willing to take the weight of added sealings as well as the necessary maintenance?
(02-25-2020, 11:07 AM)Klaus Wrote: Back in the film days, many people were willing to pay for a booster or even viewfinder ...  

Those boosters and alternate view finders were for the professional top model cameras, for professional photographers. They were high priced, low volume things for those who needed and could afford them. So.. Your point was?

♪♫ And isn't it ironic, don't you think ♩♬ (Alanis Morissette)...

"The (de-)attachable viewfinder is a bad joke in the year 2019."
Klaus from Optical Limits on the Canon EOS M6 mk II, August 20th 2019.
(02-25-2020, 12:03 PM)Brightcolours Wrote:

Those boosters and alternate view finders were for the professional top model cameras, for professional photographers. They were high priced, low volume things for those who needed and could afford them. So.. Your point was?

♪♫ And isn't it ironic, don't you think ♩♬ (Alanis Morissette)...

"The (de-)attachable viewfinder is a bad joke in the year 2019."
Klaus from Optical Limits on the Canon EOS M6 mk II, August 20th 2019.

Every viewfinder without "KLAUS-1" on it is a bad joke...