Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tamron 70-180f2.8 is out
Another Nikon/Sony convert... Welcome aboard.
stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
(04-07-2020, 04:36 PM)borisbg Wrote:
(04-07-2020, 09:17 AM)thxbb12 Wrote: Indeed, very attractive lens.
Recently, a friend of mine lent me his A7R Mark II and I really didn't like the shooting experience.

Sony's most clever move was to open up their mount protocol.
This is one of the main reasons why there are so many 3rd party alternatives.

Hi Florent,

I purchased A7R III and have been using it for last 3 months. I would say the user experience is not good initially, but after spending some time with the camera and configure the main settings it is alright. I sold all of my Nikon gear and have the Sony now and Oly OM-D m10. Getting used to Sony is about the same as getting used to Oly. Compared to Nikon is different story... Having the alternatives is great, this is the main reason I switched. I use it with Tamy 28-75 and Sigma 14-24 DN, it is fine. There is big selection on accessories too, such as L plates remote releases ... I will be selling the my Oly with 2 lenses as well.

Yeah, maybe, but I'm a bit doubtful.
The thing is that I've been shooting Olympus (I had the E-M1 and E-M10 II) and Panasonic (GM5, GX9), but somehow I like shooting my Fuji much much more. So in the end, I always end up taking my X-T20 over any other body. Only when I need something super mega compact, I take the GM5.
I'll very likely sell all of my MFT gear to only keep the GM5 and a couple of tiny lenses.
I highly suspect that no matter how much I use a Sony A7, I'd always like shooting with the Fuji more.
--Florent

Flickr gallery
(04-07-2020, 08:52 PM)thxbb12 Wrote:
Recently, a friend of mine lent me his A7R Mark II and I really didn't like the shooting experience.

Hi Florent,

I purchased A7R III and have been using it for last 3 months. I would say the user experience is not good initially, but after spending some time with the camera and configure the main settings it is alright. I sold all of my Nikon gear and have the Sony now and Oly OM-D m10. Getting used to Sony is about the same as getting used to Oly. Compared to Nikon is different story... Having the alternatives is great, this is the main reason I switched. I use it with Tamy 28-75 and Sigma 14-24 DN, it is fine. There is big selection on accessories too, such as L plates remote releases ... I will be selling the my Oly with 2 lenses as well.

The thing is that I've been shooting Olympus (I had the E-M1 and E-M10 II) and Panasonic (GM5, GX9), but somehow I like shooting my Fuji much much more. So in the end, I always end up taking my X-T20 over any other body. Only when I need something super mega compact, I take the GM5.
I'll very likely sell all of my MFT gear to only keep the GM5 and a couple of tiny lenses.
I highly suspect that no matter how much I use a Sony A7, I'd always like shooting with the Fuji more.

Is it the ergonomics or the color rendering of the Fuji?
(04-08-2020, 09:49 AM)ioled Wrote:
(04-07-2020, 08:52 PM)thxbb12 Wrote:

Hi Florent,

Is it the ergonomics or the color rendering of the Fuji?

The ergonomics and the simplicity.
The colors don't matter much once you edit the RAW.
The colors are nice though, when I don't want to do any post-processing (I usually shoot RAW+JPG), but that's not the main point for me.
--Florent

Flickr gallery
(04-07-2020, 04:29 PM)Brightcolours Wrote: The Canon RF 70-200mm f2.8 does have IS, and is as compact... So no correlation there...

Not exactly... The weight difference is 250 grams; the Tamron has a 67mm filter thread (vs. 77mm), and is slimmer overall.
(04-08-2020, 08:05 PM)Rover Wrote:
(04-07-2020, 04:29 PM)Brightcolours Wrote: The Canon RF 70-200mm f2.8 does have IS, and is as compact... So no correlation there...

Not exactly... The weight difference is 250 grams; the Tamron has a 67mm filter thread (vs. 77mm), and is slimmer overall.

It covers 180mm instead of 200mm, and has smaller front elements. So yeah, logical it is lighter and "slimmer overall". Still no correlation with (lack of) IS and its size.

You can, however, make a case about the correlation between that almost all FF Sony A7/9 cameras have IBIS, and the lack of IS in the lens.
Sure. Unfortunately, not all APS-C models have IBIS. If I'd been willing to start using the NEX I have again, I'd be left a little bit wanting for tele lens options, short of adapting the Canon-mount gear I have.
Are there Sony cameras with IBIS that can use in lens IS and IBIS at the same time? Olympus does that, and the future Canon cameras with IBIS will do that. If Sony does not offer that, that is another reason to omit IS in the lens, to prevent user issues?

The Tamron lenses which have IS (VC) and are sold under the Pentax label have the IS removed (while being sold for much higher price), possibly also to avoid IBIS and IS collision?
I've never used any of Sony's E-mount cameras with IBIS, but a good deal of their FE line lenses seem to include OIS (16-35/4, 24-70/4, 24-105/4, all the long ones). Have there been any reports indicating interference / compatibility issues?
(04-09-2020, 12:29 PM)Rover Wrote: I've never used any of Sony's E-mount cameras with IBIS, but a good deal of their FE line lenses seem to include OIS (16-35/4, 24-70/4, 24-105/4, all the long ones). Have there been any reports indicating interference / compatibility issues?

A google search shows the stabilization systems can work together. Now to what extend I don't know.