Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The next review will be ...
... a little different. It'll be about a $68 lens.

After those $2500 lenses of late, it's time for something all of us could afford. ;-)
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Fot ethical reasons we all share it won't be a yongnuo copy...
So it's one of those chinese Meike 28mm or opteka 35mm or 7artisan 25mmf1.8 ??
however I would be most interested in a vintage popular lens : Helios 58mmf2.0 if you could do it
No.No.No.No.Who knows ... ;-)

PS: Yongnuo has some native designs by now.

There are many different "helios 58mm f2" generations from a number of different manufacturers, and they are not all the same. And besides that, they are pretty crappy lenses... Only popular because there are so many lenses with no purpose from decades ago, that they are cheap and plentiful.

Not a worthwhile lens to "test", and you can find enough blog posts/"reviews" for those lenses to make you your mind if you want to put energy and a few bucks into one of those Russian turds.
I'd like to test a mirror lens again but then that's like washing down 200 bucks down the toilet.

A lensbaby? But, April 1st has already come and gone. Big Grin
(04-05-2020, 10:07 AM)Kunzite Wrote: I'm not sure if that's the case now. Tokina might have given up rebadging/using Pentax designs, their last 85mm being a Viltrox.

(04-13-2020, 10:04 AM)Brightcolours Wrote: There are many different "helios 58mm f2" generations from a number of different manufacturers, and they are not all the same. And besides that, they are pretty crappy lenses... Only popular because there are so many lenses with no purpose from decades ago, that they are cheap and plentiful.

Not a worthwhile lens to "test", and you can find enough blog posts/"reviews" for those lenses to make you your mind if you want to put energy and a few bucks into one of those Russian turds.

I already own two Helios M44-2 58mmf2.0, even being the same model, one is better than its twin sister, compared to M44-4 58mmf2.0 the newer one is sharper than both with higher contrast.
So I expect a huge sample variations, and the results to be average at best, no surprises here, however it should be fun to have such a review and you imagine the number of persons often tempted when they see such a lens... And who want a reliable review.
How can you both say "reliable review" and point out big difference between 3 samples, and say "I expect huge sample variations"?
not everything is subject to sample variations and it can give an idea about how the lens performs
"I already own two Helios M44-2 58mmf2.0, even being the same model, one is better than its twin sister,  compared to M44-4 58mmf2.0 the newer one is sharper than both with higher contrast.
So I expect a huge sample variations, and the results to be average at best, no surprises here, however it should be fun to have such a review and you imagine the number of persons often tempted when they see such a lens... And who want a reliable review."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[/quote]

The M44-2 is the only one of that series that merits note photographically! ......
........ it is the least sharp and contrasty with the most aberrations and that bubble bokeh at wide apertures .... it has that look ......
........ magically all comes together on stopping down to F8 where the lens is very sharp .......
 I see no real use for the later versions as the character is lost with their better optics ..... and the 50-58mm lenses are so ubiquitous there are many better choices.
 The lenses are super well constructed and very solid .... so I would be surprised by de-centering variations between models ....