Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zeiss Macro Lens ?
...I just learned that Zeiss offers three prime lenses for Fuji X mount cameras...

...I am especially interested in the Zeiss Touit 2.8/50M autofocus offering...I am seeking a sharp macro lens for my new X-T30...I currently have the 18-55 and 55-200 lenses...

...will there be any reviews of the Zeiss lenses...???...does any one have any experience with with Zeiss lenses..???...

...considering the brand they do not seem overly expensive compared to equivalent Fuji lenses...

...I have a Zeiss monocular I am basically satisficed with except that seems very overpriced compared to similar products...however the other products were not satisfactory...

...right now I have the Laowa 65mm/f2.8 2X Ultra Macro in a shopping cart...they are back in stock after being sold out...

...I understand that the two lenses are not really comparable per se, but that is what I am trying to do here...

...I was especially impressed by the 2X magnification factor of the inexpensive, Highly Recommended, Laowa lens...

...I also like the Idea of fully integrated electronics that can utilize the intelligence of my camera...it is smarter than I am at this point...

https://www.zeiss.com/consumer-products/int/photography/touit/touit-2850m.html[Image: zeiss-touit-2850m-product-04.ts-15427121...8b9056b4f9]
Is that you, Dave?  Wink

It depends on what you find important. Personally, I like making beautiful images, more than making macro images that are about the smallest subject. So, for me 2:1 macro is less important than is rendering, and I would go for the Zeiss 50mm f2.8 for sure, as as far as I have seen, it renders nicer (nice colour and bokeh). https://www.thephoblographer.com/2014/05...m-x-mount/

But if the higher magnification is important to you, you could make a different choice.
...thanks, bro...Dave's not here...

...my primary concern with this lens was macro imaging but now you have me all confuded... (grin)

...so...do I need both...?!?...LoL...

...one sticking point is the macro auto focus issues mentioned...
I don't speak Fuji but I do speak a little macro ..... expect 1:1 to be seriously close ...

Focusing range
0,15 m (6.02") – ∞
Free working distance
0,05 m (1.97 ″) – ∞

........ that's close !!
You can find some sample images here (shot with the X-Pro 1, though, not the X-T30):

https://photozone.smugmug.com/Zeiss-Toui...r-Fuji-XF/

I like the rendering of the Zeiss lens, but it is definitely a typical Zeiss lens, meaning high contrast combined with high vignetting. And sometimes terrible flare. I'd consider it to be a good choice to cover both portraits and occasional macro shots with a single lens. But if you're primarily want to shoot macros, its focal length might be a bit short, as David already pointed out.

Unfortunately, there aren't too many options of macro AF lenses with X-mount, only 3, to be precise: there's the Zeiss, with the shortest focal length. Then there is the XF 60/2.4, which is sharper than the Zeiss, but feels a bit outdated with its old-style AF drive and it only offers 1:2 magnification. And of course the XF 80/2.8, which optically is no doubt better than the other two, but unfortunately also quite big and heavy.
Editor
opticallimits.com

(05-13-2020, 09:47 PM)mst Wrote:  And of course the XF 80/2.8, which optically is no doubt better than the other two, but unfortunately also quite big and heavy.

Big is good ...... heavy is good 

Mass stabilization Smile
...none of this is helping...!!!...

...actually you are making a good case for the Laowa 65mm/f2.8 2X Ultra Macro here...LoL...

...most of the images mst posted were like what I was shooting for (and mostly missing) today...