Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Panasonic Lumix S 20-60mm f/3.5-5.6 coming
(04-09-2020, 12:54 PM)Klaus Wrote: Well, "free" is never free.

There is a saying in IT (was it from Tom Cook?): if something is free, you are the product.

Smugmug.com has a basic account fo $48 p.a. That's not free but cheap. And they are pretty good.

(05-20-2020, 02:13 PM)Brightcolours Wrote:
(05-20-2020, 11:20 AM)toni-a Wrote: That's exactly  the lens I was asking to have in RF mount

https://forum.opticallimits.com/showthread.php?tid=4475

That would make the S-mount cameras have a crop factor of 28 / 20 = 1.4x  Tongue Big Grin

who would get 28-70 when he can have 20-60 ?? I wanted a compact standard zoom and that was the only one available for full frame mirrorless
Just taking your words seriously for fun... "that's exactly what I was asking for".
I agree that gaining a lot at the wide angle is worth it when you only lose the 60-70mm range, for me. 70mm is never long enough anyway, when you want something longer than "normal".
It's now official : https://www.dpreview.com/news/2926845696...or-l-mount

What an amazing and unique range!
Traditional standard zooms always start at 24 which I often find too narrow for landscapes, hence the necessity to carry another 16-35 or similar lens which means swapping.
If Panasonic were to release a small S body (please Panasonic...), I'd seriously consider the system for this lens alone :-) Definitely a unique selling point!

BTW this lens is about the same size and weight as the Olympus 12-40 f2.8 MFT (FF equiv to 24-80 f5.6).

Also, I wonder why Samyang and other small third party makers are not releasing any of their FF lenses for L mount? That would attract new people to the system I think.
I strongly believe Panasonic would attract people to their L system if they had a smaller form factor body.
--Florent

Flickr gallery
And it's quite affordable, too. Plus the manufacturer MTFs are quite amazing.

https://www.panasonic.com/au/consumer/lu...r2060.html

A Sigma FP & this lens ... hmmmh ;-)
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
I'm waiting for Panasonic to release a somewhat compact rangefinder-like FF body (ala GX9).
Also, given this is a consumer lens, I hope this indicates Panasonic is going to release more affordable and compact lenses for the system :-)
--Florent

Flickr gallery
Well, the Sigma FP just got more attractive because of this lens ...

Bummer - the FP doesn't have ultrasonic sensor cleaning.

(05-27-2020, 10:18 PM)Klaus Wrote: Well, the Sigma FP just got more attractive because of this lens ...

Bummer - the FP doesn't have ultrasonic sensor cleaning.

To me, the FP's two main weaknesses are (in order):
  • No EVF
  • No mechanical shutter (hence, rolling shutter artifacts for anything moving - and I suspect the readout speed of the FP to be rather slow)
I wonder what's the likelihood of Panasonic releasing a compact FF body (preferably rangefinder like).
--Florent

Flickr gallery
Yes, a GX-like S body would be something ...

Or a similar lens in RF mount....
I don't understand why Canon did nothing here, when APS-C SLR were the norm, they lead the way with their very decent 15-85 now all they are concentrating on making hugely expensive f1.2 primes and f2.0 zooms that weight a ton and cost an arm and a leg, regardless the fact they are excellent.
Well, there is no equivalent for any other system. The closest one is the 10-25 f1.7 in MFT land, but it's HUGE and pricey and shorter (50mm equiv instead of 60).
--Florent

Flickr gallery