Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the best travel zoom?
Hello, I would like to know which is the best travel zoom for mirrorless system.  No matter the brand.  Thank you
Olympus 12-100mm f/4 PRO
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
What do you consider to be a travel zoom?
If you are after a one lens camera choice, I'd just look at "compact" digital cameras (Sony, Canon, Nikon) that cover the range you imagine you need. I do not really understand why one would want to travel with a exchangeable lens camera with just one lens.

If you want a single lens on MILC anyway:

For full frame, the Tamron 28-200mm f2.8-5.6 for Sony E-mount is such a "superzoom" lens.
For APS-C, Tamron offers a 18-200mm for Sony E-mount, Canon EOS M.
For MFT, Tamron offers a 14-150mm lens.

Canon offers a 70-200mm f2.8 for Canon RF mount that is smaller and lighter than other 70-200mm f2.8 lenses, also nice for travel.

Personally, I select a few lenses for different purposes when traveling, of course also taking size and weight in mind.
Thumbs Up 
Canon EF-M 18-150mm. It seems to be optically very good, weighs only 300g and costs around 400 euros! (You can get a refurbished one for less...)

Cheers!
Panasonic 14-140 3,5-5,6;
good (enough), cheap, robust, small, very light

or Panaleica 12-60 2,8-4,0
very good, robust, light, more wide angle, more light, less tele, rel. expensive
(09-11-2020, 08:34 AM)fernandoj Wrote: Hello, I would like to know which is the best travel zoom for mirrorless system.  No matter the brand.  Thank you

You need to be a bit more specific. What do you mean by "best"?
  • Best optical quality? Even this is tricky: best sharpness? Best bokeh? etc.
  • Best build quality and weathersealing?
  • Smallest form factor/weight?
  • Largest zoom range?
  • Best (lowest) price?
  • etc.
Do you value more wide-angle or longer focal lengths?
Do you value more optical quality or zoom range?
What would be the minimum zoom range you would consider?
What mirrorless systems are you mostly interested in?
Only after we know more about your needs (or wishes) will we be able to guide you towards the "best" lenses.
--Florent

Flickr gallery
Lightbulb 
The question of OP reminds me of the famous question: “What is the best camera for me?” The famous answer is: “It is the one you have”... How else you can take photos than with the camera you have... Wink
Depends on your priorities for instance if you have Nikon1WA1 body and shooting underwater is a priority it's obviously Nikon 11-27.5 simply because it's waterproof...
Hola. Gracias por las respuestas. Los que me piden que sea más específico en mi consulta tienen razón. No importa el sistema de tamaño del sensor, puede ser FF, APSC, etc., traducido a Full Frame, sería un 24-1XX, mejor con apertura fija (f4), mejor estabilizado y con la mejor calidad óptica.
Dunno why focal length is your main priority for travel photography and you just mention superzooms.
What about available light ?? what about DOF ??
for available light good performance at high ISO of modern sensors partially solved it, but still....
For me the best travel lens used for years was EFs 17-55f2.8 for me standard range is enough wish it was slightly wider but all in all it was great, I would by far prefer it over a 18-200f4-5.6, using full frame i would still get a 24-105f4 or a stabilized 24-70f2.8