Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Samyang AF 35mm f/1.8 FE announced
https://www.samyanglens.com/en/product/p...hp?seq=514
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Most of these new Samyang primes are exactly what I'm looking for: compact, affordable et good enough optically.
I wonder why they don't release them for L-mount? The mount is open so it should be fairly easy to do.
--Florent

Flickr gallery
(09-14-2020, 12:16 PM)thxbb12 Wrote: Most of these new Samyang primes are exactly what I'm looking for: compact, affordable et good enough optically.
I wonder why they don't release them for L-mount? The mount is open so it should be fairly easy to do.

You can also wonder why not RF-mount or Z-mount. Those at least sell a few.
(09-14-2020, 12:56 PM)Brightcolours Wrote:
(09-14-2020, 12:16 PM)thxbb12 Wrote: Most of these new Samyang primes are exactly what I'm looking for: compact, affordable et good enough optically.

both RF and Z mounts are closed and thus undocumented. Consequently, Samyang would have to reverse engineer the lens <-> camera protocol and hope that Canon or Nikon won't sneakily decide to change the protocol to prevent 3rd party lenses from working.
This is why an open mount such as the L mount or Sony FE makes much more sense for 3rd party manufacturers and customers.
--Florent

Flickr gallery
(09-14-2020, 02:02 PM)thxbb12 Wrote:
(09-14-2020, 12:56 PM)Brightcolours Wrote:

both RF and Z mounts are closed and thus undocumented. Consequently, Samyang would have to reverse engineer the lens <-> camera protocol and hope that Canon or Nikon won't sneakily decide to change the protocol to prevent 3rd party lenses from working.
This is why an open mount such as the L mount or Sony FE makes much more sense for 3rd party manufacturers and customers.
There still are very few L-mount shooters. And I guess the Samyang RF lenses are fake news, then.. I'll have to notify Samyang of the fact that their RF lenses don't exist.... ;-)
I wasn't aware that Samyang had released their lenses for RF mount. If it is so, then they have already reverse engineered the RF protocol.
--Florent

Flickr gallery
AFAIR, L-mount isn't open. It's owned by Leica who decided to invite Panasonic (as their longtime partner, duh) and Sigma on board, but whether they (Leica) ever want to let anyone else join is entirely up to them. My crystal ball is out for servicing so I won't take guesses as to how solid are the chances, but I don't think it's very likely. Enough that they have Sigma, who was never known for inflated prices, with them for the ride.

RF and Z mount? Guess Samyang will port more of their lenses to these eventually, as there are already a couple products for these (can't be arsed to look up for which one exactly tho) so that means they have the wherewithal. Hope C/N don't put a lid on that somehow.
Sample images on DPR look pretty good. I was nicely surprised by asrto-photo how little coma is there, there is blue glow around the bright stars however. I own 45mm 1.8 and I like it a lot much better than 50mm 1.8 Nikkor I used own.
(09-14-2020, 04:07 PM)Rover Wrote: AFAIR, L-mount isn't open. It's owned by Leica who decided to invite Panasonic (as their longtime partner, duh) and Sigma on board, but whether they (Leica) ever want to let anyone else join is entirely up to them. My crystal ball is out for servicing so I won't take guesses as to how solid are the chances, but I don't think it's very likely. Enough that they have Sigma, who was never known for inflated prices, with them for the ride.

RF and Z mount? Guess Samyang will port more of their lenses to these eventually, as there are already a couple products for these (can't be arsed to look up for which one exactly tho) so that means they have the wherewithal. Hope C/N don't put a lid on that somehow.

For some reason I thought the L-mount was an open standard, but I was wrong.
Indeed, it's only an alliance between Leica, Panasonic and Sigma. Here is the exact wording from https://l-mount.com/en/Q-and-A:

Question: Is the alliance open to further partners?
Answer: The L-Mount Alliance is not a completely open alliance. It came about by the granting of licences by Leica Camera AG to Panasonic and SIGMA. Nevertheless, other partners could be taken onboard if certain conditions are met.

That really sucks. So I guess it only leaves the FE mount then :-(
--Florent

Flickr gallery