Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Laowa Argus 33mm f/0.95 CF APO (APS-C) announced
https://www.venuslens.net/product/laowa-...95-cf-apo/

Sony E/Fuji X
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
It says "Laowa Argus 33mm f/0.95 CF APO is a magnificent f/0.95 Standard lens for the Cropped Frame(APS-C) camera. "
It also says "The Nikon Z and Canon RF will be shipped from Mid May." ....

Neat lens, renders nicely, but very old fashioned coatings if this is an actual image from it. I like that anyway, but it is not state of the art there.
https://www.venuslens.net/wp-content/upl...80x905.png
So do they know something we don't... Smile
(05-03-2021, 05:44 PM)Rover Wrote: So do they know something we don't... Smile

Apparently.
I wonder whether there's another Z50 owner besides Markus ...

without intention of shifting discussion to FF vs APS-C, the gap between the two especially from noise side is decreasing at resolutions and ISO commonly needed (20-25MP ISO till 10K)
so APS-C Canon RF makes sense unless Canon wants to keep 2 mounts .

I sometimes use APS-C lenses on EOSRP, 10MP is more than enough for family photos, however I doubt any RF mount owner would buy it
(05-04-2021, 06:06 PM)toni-a Wrote: without intention of  shifting discussion to FF vs APS-C, the gap between the two especially from noise side  is decreasing at  resolutions and ISO commonly needed  (20-25MP ISO  till 10K)

Without the intention of shifting the discussion to a flame fest by anti-equivalence warriors, there is no gap between FF and APS-C noise wise when equivalent settings are used, provided the sensor technology is comparable. 

So.. APS-C with this lens and FF with a 50mm f1.4 lens should be comparable.
Well, it's fairly affordable and the samples don't look ultra-crap at least - and, so far, Laowa was quite honest with their APO designation.
However, I'm not convinced that an f/0.95 manual focus lens makes sense.

50mm f1.4 manual focus lenses (33mm f0.95 APS-C equivalent) were totally normal (even 50/55/58mm f1.2)... And that was without "focus peaking". Of course, it depends on the implementation of the focus peaking how nice or easy it is to use. And yes, a photographer should have a little bit of skill, perhaps.
Personally I see no issue with a manual focus f0.95 lens (APS-C), but of course you should use the right tools for the right job.