Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stabilising gymbals
Gents,

I'm looking at this, just as a starting point - it's a kind of product totally unknown to me:

https://www.amazon.it/dp/B081T12MXW

Why am I interested in it? Two reasons.

1. Videos. So far all my attempts with videos were frustrated. Several years ago the video quality of my camera bodies were bad or not so good (including my first Sony bodies), while the a6600 is absolutely ok. Also I "discovered" DaVinci Resolve which is free and makes it possible for me to have yet another restart with videos without risking to waste money in software. Last but not least my latest laptop has got 4TB of SSD, which fixes the last annoyance. The kind of videos I'm thinking is e.g. while I'm hiking in the countryside / mountain. I took a first short sequence which could be interesting, but it was definitely too shaky, an external device is required.
  2. Photos. The product can be used with a ground base and the camera oriented by means of an Android device. I'm thinking of scenarios where I could hide 10-20 meters away and perhaps let wildlife to get close to the camera (that I can remotely control). Here the limiting factor is the max. load: 1.2 kg - not enough for the Sigma 150-600mm, but - given that I can't remotely zoom - such a long lens probably doesn't make sense. It could work with the SEL70200G, which fits the max. load.
Which brands should I also consider?

Thanks.
stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
I went for an easier solution: a monopod
(06-11-2021, 06:45 PM)toni-a Wrote: I went for an easier  solution: a monopod

ever tried to walk around with a "stabilised" monopod ?

kr,
couplos
Yes, Toni, these products can stabilise video sequences even when walking or running, in addition of another bunch of features, things that a simple monopod doesn't do.

For the record I've done some investigations on competing products and, in the same class of price, it seems that the following one is interesting because, even though it's 400g heavier, it can handle a payload up to 3 Kg.

https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B07Y48GKDF/

It's apparently slightly more expensive, but I've found other shops where one can save about 50€. I'll keep you informed in case I buy one. My total lack of experience with this kind of stuff makes me think that I need to get one and use it to make an informed opinion.
stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Zhiyun is generally considered to be very good indeed.

The Weebil-S is considered an entrance model, so you may want to consider one of the Crane models by Zhiyun, if you want a little better quality.
I do not own any myself, but did do some reaerach a year and a half ago, and do plan getting one myself once I start doing video more.

HTH, warm regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
Yes, I saw the higher "Crane" models, but they are of a more expensive class. It's a new universe to me, I have first to check whether it's something that I'd use.

BTW I "discovered" there are accessories for remotely control zoom for manual zoom lenses, even without the gear ring of cine lenses (basically there are gear rings that can be applied to the rubberized ring of the lens).
stoppingdown.net

Have a serious look at the Feiyutech A2000, which is both single and dual grip.
https://www.amazon.de/feiyu-tech-A2000-S...013&sr=8-1

Siad to be incredibly smooth with its anti shake algorithm, and can handle 2kg load. At that price above, it can't be beat? Act fast though, as it is in limited supply from that listing,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQKlP75cUSY
Off topic but th cameraman fitness is amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhVq9X-Y9hY