Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sony Alpha 7 IV released
https://www.sony.com.au/electronics/inte...s/ilce-7m4

A very sensible camera IMHO

Not too much stuff that you don't need, enough of the essentials that you require.

Support for HEIF - interesting. Seems to pick up momentum.

I still hate the design though.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Hmmh, so locally the A7 IV costs basically as much as the A7R IV A ... how does this make sense?

Isn’t a7r4 thousand more, 3,5 k€? In Eu at least.
(10-22-2021, 04:54 AM)Klaus Wrote: Hmmh, so locally the A7 IV costs basically as much as the A7R IV A ... how does this make sense?

Does comparing local discounts to MSRP (A7R IV) with MSRP of newly announced product (A7 IV) make sense?
As long as these are the prices you can actually get either of these cameras for...
There seems to now be a baffling amount of Sony 7 style of bodies and it's a spec comparison game to remark the difference .........

It's always much the same for me ...... that unappealing small toy like body ....... 

...... the AF looks to be at Sony's normal high level with an industry basic standard 3.6 million dot EVF with 120 FPS hi mode ....... it's clear that Sony is saving the 5 and 10 million dot EVFs for their flagship models ..... 

and Yay !! dèja vu ....... no prizes for guessing ....... yet another "el cheapo small low res rear 3" million dot rear screen" ........ that no other manufacture would deign to put on a modern camera ........ I wish Sony would publish their stock situation on that ten year old LCD,  we could then calculate their annual production and divide it into the LCD stock to find out how many more years we have to suffer them on a back of a $3,000 camera ....... [Image: smile.png]

In general it's Sony business as usual ...... with all the pluses and minuses that entails ....

For the life of me I can't understand why they have not hazarded a larger body into production along the lines of the R or Z series ....... go on Sony try, even just one !!
Locally:
* A7R IV A: 4400AUD
* A7 IV: 4000AUD
* A7R III A: 3300AUD

So at this point in time, the A7 IV seems to be of poor value really.

(10-22-2021, 06:49 AM)Klaus Wrote: Locally:
* A7R IV A: 4400AUD
* A7 IV: 4000AUD
* A7R III A: 3300AUD

So at this point in time, the A7 IV seems to be of poor value really.

takes some justifying !!
You can also lump the A1 and A9 in with the same critique....

All basically the same body. I'll have to skip the electronic shutter specs because it would take a month to weed through the different bit depths, compression or not, JPG or RAW, AF or not, tracking or not, AE or not small print for all the cameras, but that makes the comparison a tad more ridiculous... And dutch MSRP.

A7S III: 12mp, 10 fps, €4200
A9 II: 24mp, 10 fps, €5400
A7 IV: 33mp, 10 fps, €2799
A1: 50mp, 10 fps, €7300
A7R IV: 61mp, 10 fps, €4000
These prices are just absurd, especially if Sony expect APS-C users migrating to FF.

At least Canon (RP), Panasonic (S5), Nikon (Z5) have affordable FF bodies, but Sony?
The aging A7iii is still very expensive as is the A7c.
--Florent

Flickr gallery