Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nikon Z9 claims to have no rolling shutter ??
Nikon are claiming that the Z9 has no rolling shutter and beats out the A9 which already has very little ....... a third of the R5 ........

....... could this point to a global shutter ??
In addition, rumormill has it that it might be without mechanical shutter all together.

For sure omission of shutter will come, so could it be next week with Z9? Should be fun when actual specs will be revealed.
(10-24-2021, 10:01 AM)MatjazO Wrote: In addition, rumormill has it that it might be without mechanical shutter all together.

For sure omission of shutter will come, so could it be next week with Z9? Should be fun when actual specs will be revealed.

I've also heard that there maybe no mechanical shutter ...... however, there will be a shutter in front of the sensor for dust resistance ........ the Z series up till now has had some issues with dust .....
It will do 20 FPS (like the Sony A1 (only does 30fps with lossy compressed RAW, shutter release, the right lens, and zone AF-mode), the Canon R5. The 120FPS is basically just lower resolution video capture, with slower video AF.
Like the R3, it will offer car and motorcycle tracking (like face and eye tracking).
Weird thing from the specs: "shutter sound level control". From a shutterless camera.
The eye and face tracking appears to be on Canon level, with a nice smooth tracking box (not the nervous flickering Sony tracking).

Appears to be a solid camera, only 2 things I do not really get: the non-swivel 2 way articulating screen, and the huge "pentaprism" housing.
Well, let's first wait to see if it is actually shutterless. If so, the "sound control" might just be about feedback to the photographer and/or model.

Having seen the teaser leaked by Nikon India, I like the swivel design of the rear display, actually find it nicer than a fully articulated screen.
Editor
opticallimits.com

(10-27-2021, 07:44 AM)mst Wrote: Well, let's first wait to see if it is actually shutter-less. If so, the "sound control" might just be about feedback to the photographer and/or model.

Having seen the teaser leaked by Nikon India, I like the swivel design of the rear display, actually find it nicer than a fully articulated screen.

Agreed on the design of the articulation!! ....... both the D750 and D500s have the vertical only version ....... it is robust ........
The Z9 does not have a global shutter, but a fast rolling shutter (1/270th of a second according to DPReview), which is faster than the EOS R3.

Most notable in my opinion: the price.

USD $5499.95 MSRP.

For comparison:
Canon EOS R3 MSRP: $5999
Nikon D6 MSRP: $6499.95
Sony A1 MSRP: $6499.99 (does not include vertical grip).

Impressive camera with a combative price, seems like Nikon is getting serious about gaining a bit of market share back?
The price is pretty low for what it is. With the prior hype - and the combination of the camera's capabilities hinted at, of course - I was fully expecting $8000. Smile Not that I'd be buying this unit either way, although now at least the lenses from the competing systems (EF and E mount specifically) can be adapted to this one. Smile
(10-28-2021, 02:24 PM)Rover Wrote: The price is pretty low for what it is. With the prior hype - and the combination of the camera's capabilities hinted at, of course - I was fully expecting $8000. Smile Not that I'd be buying this unit either way, although now at least the lenses from the competing systems (EF and E mount specifically) can be adapted to this one. Smile

If it is $5500 it is competitively priced ........ and no global shutter ........ but fast read out ..... seems it's 20 FPS ........ at 16 bit depth though to be seen.

we will know soon !!
Ok we've heard the hype ....... the four Nikon "vague ware" videos ..... Matt Irwine' unrestrained enthousiasm and the all the DSLR faithfuls vs the MLC converts ...... 

........ So what do we get in the end ........ is it really a sports camera  ......... what makes a pro-sports camera ........ how close is it to the A1 R5 R3 ??

After claims that the camera will have a 5.6 million dot EVF and a refresh rate of 120 FPS ....... it turns out we have nothing better than what the Z6/ Z7 has ........

....... ie a 3.6 million dot sensor at 60HZ "refresh rate" ....... OMFG!!

........so after all the promises we get a revamped Z6/Z7 EVF system on a $5500 dollar camera??

....... this is not what we would now expect from top of the range sports camera from late in 2021 !! ....... compared with the competition it's already dated and it hasn't even been released yet !!

Compare with the Specs:

Nikon ....... Z9 EVF 3.6million dot X 0.8 X mag 60 Hz refresh rate 

Sony ........ AI  EVF 9.6 million dot X 0.9 X mag 120Hz up to 240 Hz refresh rate

Canon ....... R5 EVF 5.7 million dot X 0.76X mag 120 Hz refresh rate

Canon ........ R3 EVF 5.7 million dot X 0.76X mag  120 Hz refresh rate 

..... buy an A1 if you want the top sports camera 

..... the R5 if you want a bang for buck do it all ...... or an R3 for lower resolution pro sports

...... and Nikon if you want to go down memory lane ......... or want to avoid the shock of a decent EVF

I've got neck ache from shaking my head ...... I remember posting here my disappointment at looking through a Z6's EVF and they are still serving up the same reheated dinner ............. this is not a sports camera in my book !!