Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nikkor Z 800mm f/6.3 VR PF S lens
Hi guys, 
             We have probably all seen the announcement of the new: 

..... Nikkor 800mm F6.3 VR PF S lens in the Z mount .....

..............  hands on reviews have talked about it's light weight and all round great handling and compact dimensions, it's general preconception was one of an exotic wildlife lens that would be in the usual category of out of reach affordability ......... I was thinking around the $10 grand mark ........
  .........   with the F mount F5.6 version costing around the £18K with it's 1.25X TC, the loss of 1/3rd of a stop seems a small price to pay in terms of light loss and bokeh for a lens which will be eminently more usable than it's F mount sibling.

The real surprise is that the price being touted unofficially is around $6,000- $7,000 ........ 

......... that's a bit of a wowser in the world of modern super-long FL exotic sports/wildlife glass ......... 

..... that gives Nikon three super compact, lightweight long FL lens options ...... the 300mm F4 PF ...... the 500mm F5.6 PF and now their take on the 800mm F6.3 PF FL.

If the lens does come out at that price point it will be a game changer for Nikon !!
If they keep the background bokeh in check, that should be a pretty awesome lens...
Combined with the Z9 with its lowest price and high resolution for the high performance segment, Nikon finally has gotten its strategy for survival on track. Nice.
The price is officially announced at $6500 ....... remarkable!!

....... I think we will be seeing many years of availability issues with this lens ...
...... unfortunately !!
(04-05-2022, 08:58 AM)Brightcolours Wrote: If they keep the background bokeh in check, that should be a pretty awesome lens...
Combined with the Z9 with its lowest price and high resolution for the high performance segment, Nikon finally has gotten its strategy for survival on track. Nice.

I've already seen this camera in the field on a Bird Club outing.  I could not believe it!  This lens is beautiful.  I know that is sort of irrelevant, but still it was.  The owner was not using a lens hood so you could see this gleaming perfect front element, and the curving contours of the lens housing.  $6,500!  Well, we know that's a chunk of change, but for that class lens it is nothing!  Were were in a wooded riparian area with lots of interesting birds.  One is a Wilson's Warbler.  It is very small, mostly yellow with a black cap.  An it constantly is moving in the tree branches.  I got a picture -- not a good one.  But I saw the photo the guy took with the new Nikon.  It was amazing! 

I still don't know why this lens can not be made for a DSLR.  But I'm not to surprised.  The price for owning this lens is having to switch to the Z-Mount. 

This has a minimum focus of 14 feet.  That's not bad!  I was using a Canon R5 and the RF 800 F/11.  Obviously not the same class lens.  Say what you want, I love using my lens.  It is not the greatest lens, but it can be very effective.  And under $1,000!

I don't know how Nikon pulled this off!  It's pretty miraculous!

I would be happy if Canon would offer an economical 600mm f/6.3!

-Mac
(05-21-2022, 08:50 PM)Arthur Macmillan Wrote: I've already seen this camera in the field on a Bird Club outing.  I could not believe it!  This lens is beautiful.  I know that is sort of irrelevant, but still it was.  The owner was not using a lens hood so you could see this gleaming perfect front element, and the curving contours of the lens housing.  $6,500!  Well, we know that's a chunk of change, but for that class lens it is nothing!  Were were in a wooded riparian area with lots of interesting birds.  One is a Wilson's Warbler.  It is very small, mostly yellow with a black cap.  An it constantly is moving in the tree branches.  I got a picture -- not a good one.  But I saw the photo the guy took with the new Nikon.  It was amazing! 

I still don't know why this lens can not be made for a DSLR.  But I'm not to surprised.  The price for owning this lens is having to switch to the Z-Mount. 

This has a minimum focus of 14 feet.  That's not bad!  I was using a Canon R5 and the RF 800 F/11.  Obviously not the same class lens.  Say what you want, I love using my lens.  It is not the greatest lens, but it can be very effective.  And under $1,000!

-Mac

Hi Mac .....

Yeah, Nikon hit the ball out of the park with the Z9 /800mm PF combination ........ both in concept and in price ...... they now have the 300mm PF / 500mm PF and now the 800mm PF ...... all super compact, light and mostly affordable ..... 
    Nikon came out with their new Z9 FW 2.0 which addressed many AF issues and upped the EVF frame rate to 120 Hz, but there is still more work to be done ...... Nikon have obviously been trying hard with AF-C / eye detect but they still don't have a ....... "one size fits all eye detect" ...... like the R5 / A9 /A1 .......... where you just put the subject in the finder and it does the rest simply and reliably .... Z9 has now too many choices which confuses people .... 
   I also like no mechanical shutter ..... nothing to wear out!

I've seen some your images with the 800mm F11 / R5 combo and they look good and sharp ...... the R5 has proved itself in terms of AF ...... hope you're enjoying it ? ...... 
 ...... for my part I want to know where are the birds this year so much so, I had to go the African reserve at Sigean (France) to get a few shots .....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124690178@N08/

Go well !!

dave's clichés
(05-22-2022, 07:19 AM)davidmanze Wrote:
(05-21-2022, 08:50 PM)Arthur Macmillan Wrote: I've already seen this camera in the field on a Bird Club outing.  I could not believe it!  This lens is beautiful.  I know that is sort of irrelevant, but still it was.  The owner was not using a lens hood so you could see this gleaming perfect front element, and the curving contours of the lens housing.  $6,500!  Well, we know that's a chunk of change, but for that class lens it is nothing!  Were were in a wooded riparian area with lots of interesting birds.  One is a Wilson's Warbler.  It is very small, mostly yellow with a black cap.  An it constantly is moving in the tree branches.  I got a picture -- not a good one.  But I saw the photo the guy took with the new Nikon.  It was amazing! 

-Mac

Hi Mac .....

Yeah, Nikon hit the ball out of the park with the Z9 /800mm PF combination ........ both in concept and in price ...... they now have the 300mm PF / 500mm PF and now the 800mm PF ...... all super compact, light and mostly affordable ..... 
    Nikon came out with their new Z9 FW 2.0 which addressed many AF issues and upped the EVF frame rate to 120 Hz, but there is still more work to be done ...... Nikon have obviously been trying hard with AF-C / eye detect but they still don't have a ....... "one size fits all eye detect" ...... like the R5 / A9 /A1 .......... where you just put the subject in the finder and it does the rest simply and reliably .... Z9 has now too many choices which confuses people .... 
   I also like no mechanical shutter ..... nothing to wear out!

I've seen some your images with the 800mm F11 / R5 combo and they look good and sharp ...... the R5 has proved itself in terms of AF ...... hope you're enjoying it ? ...... 
 ...... for my part I want to know where are the birds this year so much so, I had to go the African reserve at Sigean (France) to get a few shots .....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124690178@N08/

Go well !!

dave's clichés

LOL, the birds are all here!

Thanks for your kind words.  I am more into finding new species now, than taking the best shots.  Learning about the birds is so fun.  But every once and a while I can get a decent shot.  I still totally love good photography, but as a tool to observe birds in detail, the camera is indispensable to me!

I am enjoying the capabilities and versatility of the R5.  I also love the EVF - as far as nice resolution and brightness.  There is an art to figuring out all of the settings, and I'm not comfortable with it.  I can't seem to find settings that work for most shots.  I'm not used to changing settings every few shots.  If one looks only at the good days, though it is tremendous and extends my abilities.

I think this new Nikon lens is far beyond their previous efforts.  It is the lens Canon should have made.  It's hard for me to believe Canon doesn't have even a 500/5.6 which is not good enough.  And the 100-500, 7.1 is just a bit underspecked.  (that's not a word, I guess). 

The lenses I need to take it to the next level cost more than the Z9-800/6.3 combo.  And it is much, much lighter!

As far as I know the RF 800/5.6 is pretty much the 400/2.8 with a permanent 2x extender built in.  It says a lot for the 400/2.8 that you can get high performance from the lens + a 2x.  But that really doesn't compete with the 5 1/4 to 5 1/2 pound Nikon 800/6.3.

I am very envious!  Would I buy a camera just to buy a lens?  That would be bad, right?

-Mac
Eh? Whatever happened to BC that his account name is now denoted with "strikethrough"?
Explained here:

https://forum.opticallimits.com/showthre...9#pid55519

It's a step we only consider as a last measure and rarely ever use. So, please be assured that this was not just an impulsive reaction.
Editor
opticallimits.com