Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sample gallery - Fujinon XF 150-600mm f/5.6-8 R LM OIS WR
https://photozone.smugmug.com/Fujinon-XF...LM-OIS-WR/
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
(07-18-2022, 08:49 AM)Klaus Wrote: https://photozone.smugmug.com/Fujinon-XF...LM-OIS-WR/

Thanks for the images Klaus. They look fairly good to me. However from 450mm on one can see the performance dropping a bit. (which can be expected off course, given the zoom range and the max aperture.) 

Hope you enjoyed your day at the zoo.
I swear that capybara is just getting fatter and fatter. Big Grin
With respect to the performance - the city scenes were shot from a 5km-ish distance - thus these can't be tack sharp due to atmospheric blur/haze.
But yes, the aperture range is so slow towards the long end that diffraction is becoming the limiting factor. At f/8, the effective resolution is somewhat lower than the resolution of the sensor.
This isn't too important today, but with Fujifilm's upcoming 40mp sensor, it will become more obvious.

Basically, it's the same situation as with Canon's RF 600/800mm f/11 - or slow-speed (f/5.6) MTF lenses.

I'm slightly baffled that the manufacturers accept these limitations. On FF, the design ceiling should be at ~f/9, and on APC-C at ~f/6.3.

That all being said - the Fujinon is very lightweight, and this makes it a quite enjoyable experience.

Why are you baffed?
Let’s face it: if you have a lens design that has a resulting resolution of, say, 20Mpix when mounted on a 40 Mpix sensor all is great. 20 Mpix is just plenty of resolution and you are very well over anything 35 mm film gave you (at very low ISO).

So why taking 40 Mpix in the first place… well I guess for two reasons: the new generation sesnors just happen to have this resolution and, maybe even more important, it’s great marketing
Well, 20mp of 40mp blur is just 20mp wasted, isn't it?

I agree it's great marketing, but realistically, ~32mp should be the ceiling of usefulness on APS-C unless you use it for pixel binning maybe (which is what smartphones are doing).
Beyond, it's more the realm of AI.
And there's also the matter of centering quality. Things got better over the years, but mechanical precision has its limits.

But that's just my view on things here.