Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
next PZ lens test report: Sony / Zeiss Distagon T* FE 35mm f/1.4 ZA
The bokeh could have been better ...

http://www.opticallimits.com/sonyalphaff...iss35f14za

After all the horror stories circulating in them internets, I was fearing worse...

Quote:After all the horror stories circulating in them internets, I was fearing worse...

The lens is quite Ok I think. It just suffers from the same problems as most other high speed wide-angle primes.
Great to see reviews coming. 🙂

Mixed feelings, I would say. Central sharpness is great, not that easy to swallow soft corners for a big and expensive lens as this one. Seems to be what technology allows at the time, though.

Boils down to bokeh, really. It looks just fine to me, looking at samples. Taking aside some lenses that really suck, the quest for perfect round unsharp spotlight seems a bit artificial to me: spotlight looks ugly both ways, being onion shaped or or not. 😏 Puting the subject in front of suitable background seems cheaper way to get to the pleasing bokeh, as the flowers sample proves it.
In the close up flower shots, the bokeh looks pretty pleasing. In the white "blob" image, things look uneasy.. Not because of a lack of bokeh smoothness, but a "collours being pulled apart" kind of uneasiness. I have seen it with other lenses, not sure what it is the result of... Maybe just heavy LoCA with wider angles?

If we are talking about the shot with the white and purple flowers - I don't like that one. The bokeh feels to glare-ish to me.
"check out the new Samsung AF 35mm f/1.4 FE although keep in mind that Samyang" Which one?  Huh 

"If you use the lens at large apertures, the corners are really of relevance and they are rarely on the same focus plane as your main subject anyway." Are the corners wide open of relevance or maybe not?  ^_^ 

Rover, what did you do while proof reading?  Big Grin 
Quote:"check out the new Samsung AF 35mm f/1.4 FE although keep in mind that Samyang" Which one?  Huh 

"If you use the lens at large apertures, the corners are really of relevance and they are rarely on the same focus plane as your main subject anyway." Are the corners wide open of relevance or maybe not?  ^_^ 

Rover, what did you do while proof reading?  Big Grin 
Asleep at the wheel, guilty as charged. Big Grin Maybe I need to get into that business full time, especially since working as a journalist does not go smooth in my case...

Yeah, yeah, yeah ...  Big Grin

So of the fast 35mm lenses, which is your favourite? 

I hired the cannon variant a few years and loved it, however I now shoot with an Fuji X100t and often have an itch for a little more speed. I've toyed swapping to the fuji 1.4, however its only a stop better.