Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
next PZ lens test report: Tamron SP 35mm f/1.8 Di USD VC
The more I read the PZ test reports on the 5D SR without any optical rating, the more I'm wondering:
  • Which lenses can be used on this machine?
  • What good is it to buy one if one can use the resolution only in the center part of the sensor? Is it only to create HR shots with lenses above 100 or 200 mm?
  • Does the Sony A7 RII suffer of the same "problem" or "issue"? After all, it's only 8 MP difference.
Quote:The end result was the same to a layman reader like myself though.

It'd be nice to see even a single retest of a lens previously evaluated on 21 MP - just about any lens that gave decent results on the 5D Mark II. Then we may know just how severe the difference is.
The situation is still not quite the same, layman or not, as with the 5Ds every lens gets impacted the same amount. With the nex7 it is very lens specific whether the lens gets the nex 7 "bonus" or not, depending on the lens design.

What needs to be done with the 5Ds is 2 lens test comparisons with the 5D mkII, to show how the results should/can be compared. That way the 5Ds regain their informational value. The Nex7 should just be ditched for lens tests altogether, since it has that faulty sensor/stack design issue.

The A7r II will show the "issue" to a lesser extent than the 5Ds because the resolution still is lower, but to a  higher extent than that D800/810, because the resolution is higher.
I think Rover makes a very good point to be honest,.......the guy looking for a lens for his 22/24/36 Mps Nikon/Canon will be put off every time by the 5Drs's ability to make the majority of lenses look poor at the edges...........

....the lens on his moderate sensor is probably going to look fine........but how will he know this?

......I would have thought compromising the tests on a sensor resolution of 36 MPs from say the D810 would be more appropriate!

That's pointing to Markus, who is currently not publishing much tests. And also does'nt use a D810 (while I think, a D800E shows a bit more than the D810, at least according to them who own(ed) both).

But what if Tamron is available with Sony mount?

An A7 RII with a decent adpater (okay, "decent" usually excludes "adapter" Sad ) could as well carry the Canon version. 

I think the 5Ds tests are actually really interesting in that it pushes the lenses to the limit. How about considering it this way, it's actually a 22Mpix camera (by down sizing) or one that allows extreme cropping. Kind of a 5diii and 7d combined. This actually makes it look good values because you're getting two cameras! Smile

Don't forget that PZ's sharpening makes the difference more pronounced (in my opinion), since sharpening does not affect every unsharpness level to the same amount. So, on lower res. sensors sharpening lifts so-so results more than on higher res sensors.

Quote:Don't forget that PZ's sharpening makes the difference more pronounced (in my opinion), since sharpening does not affect every unsharpness level to the same amount. So, on lower res. sensors sharpening lifts so-so results more than on higher res sensors.

That isn't entirely true. We sharpen on every platform till a defined (identical) threshold is reached in Imatest.

This doesn't equalize everything but it evens out some sensor differences.
Quote:That isn't entirely true. We sharpen on every platform till a defined (identical) threshold is reached in Imatest.

This doesn't equalize everything but it evens out some sensor differences.
When sharpness drops below a certain threshold, the sharpening impact will be lower. This does influence results.
Quote:Yes, medium to long tele lenses. As for the rest ...

To be fair - the 5Ds squeezes (probably) more information out of every lens.

However, pixel-level sharpness will be very rare outside the center zone.

It would be nice to have some elements to compare, like retesting some lenses already tested before, or a cross-test with the Sony 7r2 (42MPix)