Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new Tokina AF 14-20mm f/2 AT-X Pro DX
http://www.tokina.co.jp/camera-lenses/ne...ro-dx.html

Interesting ... f/2 ...
Not all that wide for an APS-C lens though.
So a 22.4-32mm f3.2 FF equivalent lens on Canon APS-C or 21-30mm f3 lens on Nikon APS-C, covering the range under 35mm to about 20mm sort of. Limited, but interesting. Bokeh rendering not too horrid for wide angle, so quite useful sort of?

The crops show it to be quite sharp wide open.

The mmillion dollar question is: will it work without vignetting at, say, 18mm (like the other Tokinas did towards the long end)? Big Grin
why dx????? their  11-16mmf2,8  makes more almost everyone has a standard zoom starting between 16 and 18mm

I am still wondering why tamron 15-30 f2,8 and stabilized for full frame isn't very popular despite great reviews

Quote:why dx????? their  11-16mmf2,8  makes more almost everyone has a standard zoom starting between 16 and 18mm

I am still wondering why tamron 15-30 f2,8 and stabilized for full frame isn't very popular despite great reviews

Because the mass market is DX ?

Sorry to say but most of the action still happens below the magical 1000$/EUR barrier and FF isn't quite there yet.

About the Tamron - above 1000$ most of the folks will stick to the original manufacturers I'd say.

Why should I buy the Tamron if I can get the Canon 16-35mm f/4 USM L IS for roughly the same price ? I wouldn't.
Quote:why dx????? their  11-16mmf2,8  makes more almost everyone has a standard zoom starting between 16 and 18mm

Hi Toni-a,

11-16 is very popular for astro photography, I would speculate that tokina wants to further explore that nishe.
Quote:Because the mass market is DX ?

Sorry to say but most of the action still happens below the magical 1000$/EUR barrier and FF isn't quite there yet.

About the Tamron - above 1000$ most of the folks will stick to the original manufacturers I'd say.

Why should I buy the Tamron if I can get the Canon 16-35mm f/4 USM L IS for roughly the same price ? I wouldn't.
Because many people are after the magic number - 2.8? Of course the 16-35/4 IS is a better all around choice - after having one for 1 1/2 months I've sold my 16-35/2.8 II without too much heartbreak - but different people have different needs. The Tamron is a more specialized tool due to the lack of filter threads.