Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suggestion: could you test the fixed lenses of the large sensor compacts?
[quote name='mst' timestamp='1328106048' post='15375']

The problem is that you cannot establish a pipeline that is valid for any past, current or even future camera. The camera sensor itself is part of the pipeline and has influence on the results (especially the Anti-Alias-filter) and the same applies to the RAW converter used to process the results. Different cameras require different RAW converters (or even different versions of the same RAW converter) which leads to slightly different results.

So, just as Klaus said, such tests wouldn't make much sense, since our results are comparable only within the same test system (which wouldn't exist for a fixed lens camera). And there's another issue: we're quite busy covering the existing systems already.

-- Markus

[/quote]

Yes, I figured you are busy... :-)

Anyway, re: first part, I think you misunderstood. Obviously, you can't take lens and sensor apart with a P&S, while you can with dSLR. But the system has a combined final output comprised of sensor and lens performance, and the RAW processing uses whatever version is available at that time (software changes over time, can't be avoided).

So, something like this should be possible: take a picture with P&S camera X at 18mm, with P&S camera Y at 18mm, and say a Canon 50D with 18-55 IS at 18mm. Then enlarge them all to same size, say 50cm, and measure "sharpness". Of course you want the last steps all done in software - I suspect the current types of testing software only work with one particular sensor at a time, and can't deal with the second part, i.e. equalize all images (adjust mps) and measure on that??

Messages In This Thread
Suggestion: could you test the fixed lenses of the large sensor compacts? - by Guest - 02-01-2012, 09:04 PM