• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forums > Back > Optimum DPI setting for exporting image to commercial printers
Thanks to all for the insights. Apologies, I think in my attempt to get to an answer quickly, I over-simplified the context info.

Basically what it is is that I'm using LR4 and need to get my book that's design in LR4's book module to my printers. They use their own proprietary software and have guidelines that say I can design each page layout myself in an external package (e.g. Photoshop) so long as I follow the guidelines in terms of page size and dpi (agreed, they actually mean ppi really). So the task was to get my LR4 Book Module to export in an appropriate format and resolution, such that when each page was reimported to the printer's own software, there was sufficient detail for it to resample/rescale as necessary.

I was assuming that they just print at 300dpi hence the (implied) stipulation for 300ppi images. But as my export from LR4 is not EXACTLY (its close, but not exactly) the same size as their pages that they print, I know some resampling/resizing is inevitable. Hence, the simple example given in my original post.

Since raising this question, Adobe has release LR4.1 which happens to export directly to JPG and not PDF. This simplifies my workflow as I no longer need to extract the JPGs from the PDF. So based on this and the advice above, I think I will export everything at 100% quality JPGs, at 600dpi - I think that should be ample for the printers?

Thanks once again all.

Messages In This Thread
Optimum DPI setting for exporting image to commercial printers - by Guest - 05-30-2012, 05:40 AM