Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
witch monitor setup do you have or recommand
I would agree with Klaus, provided your eyes are good enough. Yes, you can always switch up to a lower resolution if you can't make out what it says on teh screen, but that defeats the object of a high resolution screen.

Personally, I run 3 screens next to each other. On the left I have a Dell UltraSharp 24" IPS-screen, 1920x1200, calibrated, mostly for photo-editing. In the center I have an LG curved Ultrawide 38", 3840x1600, and to the right a Samsung 4K 27", 3840x2160.

I prefer to have a monitor that is higher than a standard video format, because that provides a little extra space for controls etc., which is why I like the Dell, apart from the excellent colour rendition.
The LG Ultrawide is great because I use spreadsheets a lot, and it gives me ample space to set up a very wide spreadsheet, which is very convenient. I also use it for multiple apps side by side, like WhatsApp and/or Explorer next to a large browser window.

The Samsung I mostly use for an extra browser, or activities I do not have to keep on monitoring all the time, but also for capturing detailed screen images and/or videos. The additional resolution really helps. Its resolution is such, however, that for text-based applications in standard, 100% mode, I can no longer read the fonts very well, they just get too small. I'd need at least a 36"4K monitor in order to see it properly.

Basically, the LG Ultrawide is for me and my eyes a good compromise, so I use it for most of my activities, and the other two for very specific ones, basically, for what they are really good at.

If I had to replace them, I would definitely go for larger monitors currently, basically because of my eyes deteriorating. I do use special glasses for reading at monitor distance, which helps, but larger fonts without compromising the functionality I need would only be useful with larger monitors, where the font is larger by definition due to their larger size. This apart from the defects that show when you enlarge fonts on a monitor.

So, if you are only going fro a single monitor, you really have to consider what is most important.

If it is photo- and/or video-editing, get yourself a monitor that supports a large gamma without dynamic contrast-trickery, like a Dell Ultrasharp. If you need a monitor that works well with, e.g., large spreadsheets and/or games, get an ultrawide.

In all cases, do try and get the largest size and highest resolution possible, within the constraints of your budget obviously. In case of photo-editing, try to find a good IPS-display, but if you want to combine everything, you may want to go for a monitor where you can switch of dynamic contrast ratios, as that means you will still be able to calibrate it.

HTH, kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....

Messages In This Thread
RE: witch monitor setup do you have or recommand - by wim - 10-02-2023, 12:53 PM