• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forums > Back > What is a good camera for indoor fish photography?
(10-18-2023, 06:41 PM)toni-a Wrote: Good to see there's a fellow aquarist and photographer.
For aquarium photography your worst enemy is the aquarium glass itself, the bigger the aquarium, the thicker the glass the more massive CA you have, if the aquarium glass is curved keep  your expectations really low.
A golden rule is having the focus plane parallel to the aquarium glass otherwise expect nothing but a color soup whatever gear you are using.
Fish aren't birds in flight, you have your time, focus isn't an issue, anything will work, you can repeat your shot as many times as you want.
In my own experience,  forget about using any focal above 50mm wide lenses yield far better results, my 100mm macro is totally useless shooting aquariums: nothing but a color soup despite being a very sharp lens otherwise.
Now if you want to shoot from inside the tank, this will need a lot of training and experience, I don't use remote live view, I can assume framing while looking from outside.
inside the aquarium you need a wide lens 20-24mm equivalent is awesome.
I have had very good results using my phone (umidigi bison pro waterproof) and fuji XP90, now my preferred is my Olympus TG5 because it has RAW, you will always need to adjust white balance not only for the blue, since  driftwood often changes water color.

The aquarium are quite large (550 gallon) and glass very thick but low dispersion which seems to help with colour shift.

Messages In This Thread
RE: What is a good camera for indoor fish photography? - by you2 - 10-18-2023, 07:59 PM