Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
shooting for printing vs shooting for screen viewing
The situation today "print vs screen" is not much different in terms of viewing it than it has been in only analogue time.

Difference: While only the best projectors and slide framing technique and screen material would show us what was in our slides, we can see it these days quite easily in 100% view - which is pretty much on the latest iMac 4096 × 2304 pixel) which shows a nearly 10MP picture in full resolution. Those 5K displays have nothing to do with "your screen resolution is at best 1920x1080". The displays are approaching print resolution of 300 dpi.

And these days nobody needs to know wether I want print a picture or I only do some documentary for my website. Everything is possible, unlike restricted use of negative or slides. This decision remains open until you print it and afterwards delete all data you made for the picture. Of course I need to know how much of my sensor's dynamic range I can bring to paper but I know what's the point of high pixel count.

Actually I know better my answer to that question than the reason you came up with it. When it comes to noise I'm pretty much on the same boat.

Edit: Sorry, I looked up only the small iMac. The 27" model comes with 5120 × 2880 pixels, nearly 15 MP full resolution.

Messages In This Thread
shooting for printing vs shooting for screen viewing - by JJ_SO - 10-18-2015, 10:10 AM
shooting for printing vs shooting for screen viewing - by Studor13 - 10-18-2015, 04:42 PM