Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
7D > 70D?
Quote: 

I have the 450D/XSi, which predates the 500D/T1i.

Ah, then we are in the same boat.  I appreciate your loyalty to your camera.  I like mine too!  I don't hate Rebels at all.  There are just a few things I don't like about them, but they are big.  I can't stand the pentamirror viewfinder.  If I were describing the reasons for its use I would say because it's cheaper, and because it's cheaper.  The Rebel viewfinder is comparatively small and dark.  Considering the central importance of the viewfinder I don't see how this can be considered a good place to cut costs.  This may be nit picking, but on both my Rebel XTi, and Rebel T1i the little soft plastic lining on the viewfinder fell off and got lost.  If you don't replace them quickly, the hard plastic underneath will scratch your glasses (if you wear them) so let this be a warning to be careful about that. 

I'm not sure what eye point is.  I'm going to assume both the 7D and 70D will have decent viewfinders.

"I don't know what is the advantage of using WiFi over USB when shooting via the computer with EOS utility. Maybe one wants to drain the camera battery?"

Good one!  What I had envisioned was being able to put my camera closer to my bird feeder, for instance.  Hopefully, they don't worry about my camera sitting there and I, sitting inside drinking my coffee, can see the birds, refocus as needed and shoot.  Probably I am not the rugged outdoor photographer that some people are.  When I saw there was no live view while WIFI was on, I was understandable disappointed.  No, I don't want to drain my battery.  I don't even use WIFI on my printer.  I'm only going to complicate something if there is something to be gained.  That said, I will remotely shoot those birds...someday...

"The real advantage is that one can use an iOS or Android device (like your smartphone) for remote live view, with the EOS Remote app."

I'm the last person alive who doesn't have a smart phone.

"The 7D can record 12 minutes of HD video at one take. Why would you need longer takes?"

I sense you are a not big on video.  Well neither am I, actually.  But sometimes it can be useful.  I wanted to find out how my dog was getting out of the yard, but I could only record a few minutes at a time.  I did finally succeed, but it took a lot more work.  I did not know about the tax thing.  I just know that my cheap point and shoot can do unlimited recording, but with an inferior lens, and resolution.  I don't like being forced to use a much worse camera to do what my best camera should be capable of doing.

"I have the 450D/XSi, which predates the 500D/T1i. I have NEVER noticed slow live view rate. It does not matter if one uses manual focussing, no focussing, or live view contrast detect AF, the frame rate does not change (and is pretty good)."

Maybe I am saying it wrong.  Or maybe it's just me.  The "not good" view I mean would be what happens when you view at 5x or especially 10x.  The feed back you get as you manually focus is not always in synch.  It could be refresh rate, or it could be some lag caused by the need to create new images to represent different views as the focus changes.  All I can say is the process is very accurate, but it is not fast.  There's a lag.  I'm not sure which camera is more capable here. 

"The 70D is the better camera. The 7D is bigger and metal bodied."

Brightcolours:  You may well be right.  Bigger and metal bodied are good points, though.  I appreciate your comments, especially coming from a fellow rebel user.  I don't think I will get a 3rd rebel when the time comes, but they can do 90% of what the other models can do, and for a lot less money. 

I'm going to read the other responses, but I can't answer them at the moment...

Messages In This Thread
7D > 70D? - by Arthur Macmillan - 04-29-2014, 07:16 PM
7D > 70D? - by Brightcolours - 04-29-2014, 08:29 PM
7D > 70D? - by borisbg - 04-30-2014, 04:01 AM
7D > 70D? - by Arthur Macmillan - 04-30-2014, 08:40 AM
7D > 70D? - by Arthur Macmillan - 04-30-2014, 09:10 AM
7D > 70D? - by Brightcolours - 04-30-2014, 08:02 PM
7D > 70D? - by Arthur Macmillan - 04-30-2014, 08:28 PM