Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why does the verdict praise the L lens and condem the EF-S lens?
Quote:You are right, I have no doubt that the 17-40L is much much much better than a 17-85 IS!

(now)

But why do you all here stress vignetting, CAs and distortion that much? It is crystal clear being on the better site to take a good picture against having a poor one where software must help.

But vignetting and distortion (and with restrictions CAs as well) are issues where software can help pretty much.

I know the issues around my old lenses and correct them...

Okay perhaps I will see the difference when I took some pictures with the new lens and then I understand why my current are some poor undesirable looser lens are. :-)

I hope (but honestly I don´t think so).

Do you strongly disagree on my thoughts regarding software correction of optical issues (except sharpness)?

cu!

Martin

Software correction is mostly lossy. However, I have no problems with this per se. You just don't have 17mm anymore but probably something around 21mm if you apply distortion correction - thus the 17-85 deteriorates to a 21-80mm lens. Compensating the vignetting will increase the corner noise by 1.x stops.  The CA correction is lossless - no issues here.

Nothing can help you regarding the slight corner softness though (although the distortion correction may push the worst part out of the image field but then it's stretching & interpolating some other image portions making them worse).

If you are happy with the results from your lens, there is no debate anyway. Just live a happy life then. 

The reviews are meant for people out there choosing new lenses, not for reassurance. :-)

Messages In This Thread
Why does the verdict praise the L lens and condem the EF-S lens? - by martin_aus_duesseldorf - 11-14-2013, 10:57 AM
Why does the verdict praise the L lens and condem the EF-S lens? - by martin_aus_duesseldorf - 11-14-2013, 12:55 PM
Why does the verdict praise the L lens and condem the EF-S lens? - by martin_aus_duesseldorf - 11-14-2013, 01:49 PM
Why does the verdict praise the L lens and condem the EF-S lens? - by martin_aus_duesseldorf - 11-14-2013, 04:06 PM
Why does the verdict praise the L lens and condem the EF-S lens? - by Klaus - 11-14-2013, 10:42 PM