Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Apple Aperture - what is the future - should one just switch?
Quote:BTW, there's a commentary of Thom Hogan which sounds more positive:

http://www.dslrbodies.com/accessories/so...-dust.html

But the point is that, even in the best case, I don't want to go to the cloud, I'm not minimally interested in sharing or editing my photos with a iPhone or iPad (which I don't own), so Apple's direction is clearly different from what I want. My fear is that Adobe could follow them soon.

<p style="margin-left:0px;"> 

<p style="margin-left:0px;">Thanks again, stoppingdown. That article was a good reason to take another glance on the screenshot. After hitting ⌘+ twice, the controls are really the ones I'm used to, with some of them minimized.

<p style="margin-left:0px;"> 

<p style="margin-left:0px;">Now, I've to take back my lament (except the bit with the greedy blokes  Rolleyes ). It does make sense to bring iPhoto and Aperture together and I really don't mind about that name, Photos or iDAM or whatever, as long as
  • the usability is not worse
  • the editing tools remains on the level I'm used to or improves a bit
  • the organization of the lib remains on the level I'm used to or improves a bit
  • no iCloud or whatever the next coming dead horse is named is needed
  • faces and places remain still available
It does make sense to give up iPhoto. If this "Photos" is replacing it and they use it as part of the OS on the level of Aperture functionality and include it on a new Mac, I'm onboard again. Their first step already was to use iPhoto and Aperture libs in each app, which itself is a cool feature. Now, if the new app would be able to manage the transfer from old iPhoto and bring the edited duplicates back to one master file with editing values - means, read the values for the copy and adjust the master, after that delete the copy - that would save me some diskspace. Something in my guts is telling me, I'm expecting a bit too much.

In the beginning of my Apple user career I enjoyed iPhoto very much. So some pictures could be migrated without the fuss to adapt the editings an delete the copies. I don't like to do things twice.

joachim, who tells you, NSA is not already reading your tags? Imagine this genius idea: developing faces and places, make it easy to apply (as I hear, Picasa and facebook also allow nametags?) and waiting until one tags "Osama" or "Edward S.". Then look at the machine, check the place and date and get another HQ pic of one. It's a playground for each kind of abuse and I'm certain it's worse than our fantasies.

But what to do? Stopping photographing? It would certainly save some money, but once discovered the beauty of that, I'd miss an important part in life.

Messages In This Thread
Apple Aperture - what is the future - should one just switch? - by scottburgess - 08-29-2013, 03:20 PM
Apple Aperture - what is the future - should one just switch? - by JJ_SO - 06-28-2014, 08:04 AM