The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 895 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.2.24-0ubuntu0.18.04.8 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 895 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Photo management software help requested
Hi,

I need to upgrade to better photo file management.  I found there's a lot on the market and all of it has limitations.  Some products I've been glancing at include Lightroom, Bridge w/ Photoshop, Aperture, ACDsee, Photo Director, fotoBiz, StockView, NSCS Pro, and Capture One.  Of these, only Aperture is out due to hardware limitations.  I am open to looking at others.

Four things I might *like* to have beyond basic organization:
  • I would like to have one integrated system for both film and digital photo management if possible--still trying to finish labeling slides, still have about half my images in film, and would like to have one search engine for the whole mess.
  • I am intrigued by the Capture One tethered camera control for the 5D III, but not sure if it has substantive advantages over the EOS Utility, which I find useful for macro image stack collecting.
  • I like the idea of folder overlays, where one can view the collection by date, or by location, or by species, etc...
  • I would like to be able to edit EXIF data (according to accepted standards).
I do my work on a Win7 laptop for tethering, and a dual-boot Win7/Linux desktop for editing, storage and organizing (I do a tiny amount of work in Linux for efficiency; 99% is done in Win7).  I do most of my editing in Photoshop/Nik.  I have three other Win7 machines (one laptop, two desktop) which serve as occasional backups when a system is down.  I do not want my photos in a cloud server.

I am still not clear what advantages each management program presents over the others.  Somewhat uniformly all do a relatively weak job in clarifying what advantages their program has in the marketplace, and after a while they all sound alike.  Some are also not terribly clear up front on their licensing arrangements, which I find annoying since I have multiple machines.

Which built-in features do you need the most in your workflow?  Automation of backups?  Support for plug-ins?  Editing features of the manager?  Support for business transactions?  What features would you happily do without, especially if you have Photoshop and the Nik suite?  I am especially interested in hearing from anyone who has used more than one photo management program and can explain the important differences between the programs.

Please share your thoughts on this.

Messages In This Thread
Photo management software help requested - by scottburgess - 08-12-2013, 02:06 AM
Photo management software help requested - by scottburgess - 08-13-2013, 06:35 AM