Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Photo management software help requested
I'm not sure if you benefit much in my thoughts on this, nonetheless it's interesting, that you want only to manage your photos in a DAM, but editing will happen somewhere else. So, you will not take advantage of a very good RAW converter like Capture One is. To make C1 good DAM, I was told one needs Media Pro Photo Manager. I admit, I hate "solutions" coming in (pricey) slices. I also admit C1 is an excellent converter, but a pretty poor Assesment manager. What you exclude by hardware limitations is for me the best photo management software* I've seen so far.

But Adobe appeared to copy a lot of good things from Aperture and their Lightroom should make a good choice for you. The integration with Photoshop should be great, I heard. I'm just not such a big fan of Adobe's licensing and business models. Since you mentioned Linux, have also a good look at "darktable".

* my reasons for this statement: wherever I am, be it library, album, smart album, book, slide show I always can make adjustments to my pictures. A backup is easy and I'm always sure all my photos are backupped. Face detection makes keywording a bit simpler for me, especially when t comes to faces I didn't know before but got their names today. Apple goes Cloud, Adobe as well. I don't. And to make that point clear as well, I'm highly disappointed by Apple to offer such a weak product development of Aperture. In most aspects most other DAMs have become more sophisticated than this old horse and it appears to me, it's only a question of time, when the rich phone builders company will abandon their own product which was meant as a professional solution.

Built in features I use: in C1 all editing especially the simple perspective correction, lens profiles, adjusting colors, making multiple exports, using multilayers for correcting shadows and highlight with brushes or gradients. Unfortunately, a healing tool in C1 is way behind Photoshop.

Old Aperture has a relatively good one, I got the whole NIK suite as plugIns (it was recently cheap) but am not using it a lot: a copy of a picture transferred to Silver EFX increases the volume for 200MB. I prefer a RAW workflow. Most plugins work with copies and save 16bit TIF. Same goes for Photoshop, I don't own a private copy of it, it's kind of a funky idea to keep my Mac Adobe-free. Although in general I love working with it, but for my kind of photographs I have all necessary editing functions in C1 or Aperture.

I think it all depends how you want to find your photos again. Personally I work a lot with smart albums which are nothing else than a saved search which is dynamically updated. That's a thing going through all Apple apps and I like that way of organisation because I don't have to think so much about structures and eventualities. But a lot of people have date-based file and folder names. I guess, you too? Windows as OS has educated it's users to think in hierarchic structures, folders, sub folders and sub sub folders. Lots of clicks, not lots of successful findings.

Messages In This Thread
Photo management software help requested - by scottburgess - 08-12-2013, 02:06 AM
Photo management software help requested - by JJ_SO - 08-12-2013, 08:32 PM
Photo management software help requested - by scottburgess - 08-13-2013, 06:35 AM