The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 895 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.2.24-0ubuntu0.18.04.8 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 895 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some thoughts from my trip to Oz and NZ.
Just returned from a month in Oz and NZ (mainly South Island) with 3 days stop-off in Hong Kong at each end.

While there, I took a number of boat and coach trips. each of which was filled with camera-wielding tourists like me, though most were from SE Asia (can't distinguish between Japanese, Chinese and Koreans, I'm afraid - apologies.) What was immediately evident was that the majority of the cameras toted were Nikon APSC DSLRs. Around 75-80% I'd say. The only Canons I saw were a few high end 5-series with expensive glass on-board (mostly 24-70 f2.8Ls). Has Nikon really got the  entry level DSLR segment wrapped up? They're as ubiquitous as Toyota cars in NZ.

Just before leaving, I splashed out on a 24-105 f4L IS to go with my 5D Mark2. I had originally intended to take the 17-40 f4L and the 70-200 f4L IS but decided in the end to take just one lens. I must say I was very pleasantly surprised by the lens and only occasionally missed the wider and longer FLs. The lens is very tightly assembled and better built/ more solid that my other 5 L lenses, apart from maybe the 35 f1.4L. It is also more contrasty than I'd expected - far more so than the 17-40L. I don't know whether manufacturers change the spec of lenses over time (e.g. better lens coatings/ tighter tolerances), but I feel the reviews don't really do this lens justice. It will now be my standard lens for travel and most routine stuff. I'll sell the 17-40 and a few others on eBay.

Finally, thanks to Klaus and others for directing me away from expensive storage media contraptions. I went with five 4GB CF cards, editing fairly heavily each evening and, even shooting RAW, that was enough storage.

Michael

Messages In This Thread
Some thoughts from my trip to Oz and NZ. - by HarryLally - 04-23-2013, 03:10 PM