Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ssssh......
[quote name='soLong' timestamp='1352546268' post='20914']

hi Joachin,

thanks for this, yes i would like to do my own printing - i have been not finding success lately with commercial sources, yes i can have very good printing done elsewhere, but at quite a high cost and i now have saved up so many pictures that i could just about pay for a printer of my own, or more - so i'm starting to look at it -

there is a used 6300 available locally at a very good price and elsewhere there is a new one (just a tad difficult to get it here, it's big:-), or i was also wondering about a 5100 or an epson4900 (new and also at a very good price)

so far in testing i've had a really nice print of my fairly recent rain forest shot on the 6300 (came out exactly as the shot appears on my screen), but not on the paper i like (hahne photorag) and he did it as an rgb print, i was surprised at just how well it came out thus my question above -

and yes, we maybe could discuss printing here a little (but of course this is really a lens site, although i found a lovely screen with help from here) ….. oops i almost forgot, i've found one or two nice lenses via here too :-) .....anyhow imo, pictures are intended for and look nicer on paper on the wall rather than on screens on the web….ta J…..

[/quote]

Hi,

It seems nobody wants to play with us. Wondering what the rest of the gang is doing with their images if they are not printing them - you have any idea? Perhaps they are just collecting lenses (pssst).

Photozone used to be a very general photography site and we had lots of discussions here on many things photographic. I remember discussing the virtues of Kodachrome vs Velvia and Klaus allowing me to call him "the radioactive color man". Long gone Kodachrome is dead, Klaus doesn't do film any more and I also stopped since my recent more. Getting film processed here is not so easy. I don't quite agree that photozone is a lens site, but it never was a printing site.

Coming back to topic, you really need such a big printer? The things you quote are massive.

Canon used to sell Hahnemühle photo rag as FA-PR1 (the 188g version) and I quite liked to print it on my 6700D. Unfortunately Canon doesn't sell this any more. Need to test whether this paper sold under the Hahnemühle brand has the same properties. With the 6700D (essentially an A4 version of the Pro 9000 mk I, just lacking the red and green colour) not being supported well any more by independent paper manufacturers getting profiles is a bit of an issue here. I know this is dye and they will not last very well, but I frame them under glas or keep them in an album to reduce light and gas fading. So far, not much issues.

I have to be a bit careful with the subject matter. The printer doesn't achieve high density, so one need subjects which are quite bright. There is works well. Otherwise I like the Canon SG201. What is your issue with the Photo Rag?

I researched printers in the past days. I am keen on an A3 (13 inch in US money) with pigment and a couple of grays. It seems to me, still to this days, there are a lot of people which report problems with clogging on a pigment printer and others have none. If you look use satisfaction for dyes on amazon.com, there are many unhappy and many happy people. Dyes seem not so polarised. Fewer unhappy reports.

You have any experiences with pigments and clogging or not clogging? You will have regular print work to do, that you print weekly?

Considering your question about the Canon inkset, the reveiws write very nice things about the EPSON K3 vivid magenta ink set. Nothing fancy in there. Just a few extra grays and the usual light magneta and cyan.

All for now.

J.
enjoy

Messages In This Thread
ssssh...... - by soLong - 11-09-2012, 08:36 PM
ssssh...... - by soLong - 11-10-2012, 11:17 AM
ssssh...... - by joachim - 11-13-2012, 11:59 PM
ssssh...... - by soLong - 11-14-2012, 10:47 AM
ssssh...... - by joachim - 11-14-2012, 05:44 PM
ssssh...... - by soLong - 11-14-2012, 10:26 PM
ssssh...... - by joachim - 11-10-2012, 09:46 AM