Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opinions on photo - before and after
[quote name='allanmb' timestamp='1350471158' post='20647']

Since there hasn't been any topics in the past 24 hours I thought I would get people's opinions on a recent shot I took. I took a first shot at processing this photo and decided to mute the colours but wasn't too happy with the results. After some feedback I went fully monochrome and then did a little bit of photoshopping to make the leading line of the road more pleasing.

Firstly, Which do you think is better? I think I prefer the muted colours of the first but like the composition of the second better. However I am not a fan with such an amount of editing. Which leads me to my second point

How ethical is this amount of photoshopping? Where do people generally draw the line?

1) Sort out exposure, perhaps touch colour cast but no more

2) As above but with a dose of sharpening and noise reduction

3) Some basic cloning out of distracting elements, moving birds, dust etc.

4) Major moving of large elements

5) Even more extreme, lets turn it up to 11!!

Anyway, on to the photos!

1:

[Image: 8072080920_5b1d7c9227_b.jpg]

2:

[Image: 8095012102_efa638ee87_b.jpg]

Thanks

Allan

[/quote]

Hmm, I wouldn't photoshop the whole background around as in the second shot. I prefer the 1. one actually. You could simply crop a bit if you want to emphasize the road more, rather redesigning the landscape.

As to photoshopping, if you make an artistic piece, you can do anything you want I presume as long as people don't expect it to be real. However, your particular landscape shot implies an existing landscape somewhere. I'd be rather disappointed to not find it like that. (i.e. similar to the National Geographic screw up where they lined up the three big pyramids in Egypt to make them fit the cover - that view did not exist). I doubt Ansel Adams would have done that. Yes, playing with dodging, burning, contrast etc. etc. to get the dynamic range for the images the way he wanted it, but not moving the mountain over, to make it look better. I think the key there is that the photographer finds the good spot, and chooses the right focal length to get the landscape image they want.

Messages In This Thread
Opinions on photo - before and after - by allanmb - 10-17-2012, 10:52 AM
Opinions on photo - before and after - by Guest - 10-17-2012, 12:42 PM
Opinions on photo - before and after - by soLong - 10-17-2012, 03:48 PM
Opinions on photo - before and after - by allanmb - 10-18-2012, 01:01 PM
Opinions on photo - before and after - by Guest - 10-19-2012, 10:08 AM
Opinions on photo - before and after - by allanmb - 10-19-2012, 10:54 AM
Opinions on photo - before and after - by Guest - 10-19-2012, 09:53 PM