Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Japan import lens with panasonic Japan warranty in the UK
 Before I purchased the Nikon D750, online grey market, I sent a mail to Nikon France with the D750 link address  from the seller. In this case Nikon replied that the D750 would have a one year warranty here where I live in France and the second year would be covered in the country of sale (through the seller)

There is of course the magic 14 day return period from the seller which is invaluable, here if you are not happy for what ever reason you can return the item for an exchange or a refund, if the seller doesn't offer this service go elsewhere. 

Most of these grey market sellers sell out of China/Hong Kong or wherever and have a depot/ service base in Europe be it, UK/France/Belgium, so returns don't generally have to go back to Asia. Once I returned a de-centered Tamron A011 to the seller, I think I had to return it to a base in Luxembourg for inspection/check, I was sent another the whole process took 14-20 days. The Nikon D500 was also returned (AF probs.) and I was sent another in the same space of time, both times I had the return postage reimbursed. I was a happy bunny!   I have never had to put to the test an actual warranty!  I'm told that Asian warranties work but you have to wait longer.

Nikon USA seems the most stringent when it comes to grey market, they often won't repair stuff even if you offer to pay. Nikon Europe seem far more accommodating, so send a ad. link from the seller to the company who makes the product if you want to be sure, if you get a positive response, "print out" the received mail and put it with the sales receipt, "as proof of their word". So grey in the States with Nikon is maybe a no no!

Choose a seller who operates through a major chain, as per Amazon etc.

Many sellers operate through say Amazon, Priceminister or whatever, there you have the best protection, as the payment goes through them and is "held" until the 14 day return period is up, after which Amazon will pay the seller, that prevents the seller turning his back on you, if you're not happy the seller doesn't get his money, this means the seller is at your bec and call until you are happy.  

I would never buy from an unknown seller that didn't operate under a major chains protective cover!

You have to factor in the grey market savings verses a lesser warranty, if your saving 25-30% on say a lens, only you can decide whether you want the full golden manufacturers guarantee (which may cover you for several years)  or the lesser one from grey market.

I find you can often buy grey market "new" for the same price as a "used" product and in the case of Nikon/ Sigma/Tamron and many others, their warranty "isn't transferable" to you anyway, so in the used market comparison, grey is a better way to go!

Many disagree with my views of grey... from so far 3 camera bodies.....3 lenses...no problems!...

I've saved well over two grand!  but it could have been different......... so, yer pays yer money and yer takes yer choice!

Let's hear some other viewpoints!

Products purchased grey to date:

Pentax K3......Nikon D750.(UK model) ......Nikon D500......Tamron A011/ Tamron A022.....Samyang 14mm F2.8

Messages In This Thread
Japan import lens with panasonic Japan warranty in the UK - by eggybread - 05-26-2017, 07:45 AM
Japan import lens with panasonic Japan warranty in the UK - by davidmanze - 05-26-2017, 09:30 AM
Japan import lens with panasonic Japan warranty in the UK - by davidmanze - 05-26-2017, 10:35 AM
Japan import lens with panasonic Japan warranty in the UK - by davidmanze - 05-26-2017, 11:40 AM
Japan import lens with panasonic Japan warranty in the UK - by eggybread - 05-26-2017, 02:36 PM
Japan import lens with panasonic Japan warranty in the UK - by eggybread - 05-26-2017, 06:01 PM
Japan import lens with panasonic Japan warranty in the UK - by davidmanze - 05-27-2017, 03:48 AM
Japan import lens with panasonic Japan warranty in the UK - by eggybread - 05-29-2017, 10:34 AM
Japan import lens with panasonic Japan warranty in the UK - by davidmanze - 05-29-2017, 10:41 AM