The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 895 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.2.24-0ubuntu0.18.04.8 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 895 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tamron 17-50 2.8 or Sigma 18-50 2.8 EX Macro for Pentax
Currently I am planning an update for my standard lens for my Pentax K-5. As the Pentax DA* 16-50 is too expensive for me at this point and because the reviews of this lens are not that positive, I am looking at alternatives. Due to my limited budget, I have come up with two alternatives:

1. Tamron 17-50 2.8 non-VC (old version) €314

Pro's: - 17 mm wide

- Corner resolution is pretty good, even at f2.8

- Very positive reviews here and elsewhere

Con's: - Build quality

- AF noise

- Quality control issues

2. Sigma 18-50 2.8 EX DC Macro €349

Pro's: - I expect better build quality than the Tamron

- AF is supposedly much more quiet than the Tamron

Con's: - 18 mm wide, but actually -according to some reviews- it is close to 19 mm in real life

- Resolution of the borders at large apertures is dissapointing, need to stop down to f5.6

I just have difficulty to choose between these lenses. My reason to buy this lens is low light photography and portraits and off course IQ. I have to say that I really appreciate good built quality and that I do not mind AF noise, but it is nice if the noise is not too disturbing. Another question I would like to ask is how I can test these lenses in the shops for decentering or other QC issues. I mean they do not have a brick wall inside and most of the shops here in the Netherlands are situated in industry parks where it is very hard to find a brick wall in the first place. I was planning on taking a newspaper with me to test if the focus accuracy is decent.

Thanks for all your help!

Messages In This Thread
Tamron 17-50 2.8 or Sigma 18-50 2.8 EX Macro for Pentax - by Lampo - 03-14-2011, 11:28 AM