Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Review of semi-pro Tele Lenses from 300mm to 500 mm
Well, it's probably safe to assume there's nothing really wrong with the 300/2.8 IS or the 500/4 IS. I'm sure any of the "Great Whites" gives excellent results, on any current camera, as you can expect in this price class (only exception maybe being the 400 DO).

On the other hand, some third party lenses in this segment may look attractive price wise, but in the end they aren't too far away form the previous generation non-IS lenses, which often are available used for fair prices. I'd rather buy a used EF 300/2.8 non-IS than a used or new Sigma 300/2.8.

Personally, though, I definitely wouldn't want to be without optical stabilisation, at least with those lenses that are still handholdable (500/4 and 300/2.8 certainly qualify here).

In this range, the only third party lens that really offers additional value over the manufacturer's offerings is Sigma's 120-300/2.8. I just wish they would add OS to this lens. And drop-in filters, please.

However, it's still a Sigma. I owned two copies of the 120-300 and both turned out to be less than stellar. A good copy may be excellent wide open already, but in this price class I'd prefer not to have to search for a good copy ...

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

Messages In This Thread
Review of semi-pro Tele Lenses from 300mm to 500 mm - by mst - 08-16-2010, 08:58 PM
Review of semi-pro Tele Lenses from 300mm to 500 mm - by allanmb - 08-18-2010, 07:39 AM