Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rumor: Fujinon XC 15-45mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Pancake Power Zoom
Quote:What do you really miss with the exisiting 18-55 / 16-50 / 16-55 /18-135 offerings? I keep on reading about the outstanding quality of the 18-55/2.8-4 (which I got cheap as 2nd hand) and the less so quality of the 16-55/2.8 but zoom lenses always have downsides and the Fujinon is pretty usable, I'd say. And the range is really overly populated by lenses, hence we still wait for a decent 300 mm, reasonably fast.

• The 18-55 has indeed great IQ. However, it has 2 drawbacks for me: only 18mm at the wide-end. I'd like 16mm instead. Also, it suffers from AF issue (I wonder if it's unique to my copy or not). Sometimes, it doesn't AF where it says it does leading to slightly blurry images. It's the only lens I have that does this. Are you encountering this with yours, Joju ?
  • 16-50: about the same size as the 18-55 despite being much slower throughout the range. Good thing is that it starts at 16mm, but the overall IQ is not as good as the 18-55 and it has no aperture ring and a plastic mount. I had one and sold it.
  • 18-135: It only starts at 18mm, is quite a large for its specs and not so hot IQ-wise. 
Personally, I'd love to see a 13-40 "standard" lens for APS-C (20-60mm FF equivalent).

When I analyze which focal lengths I use the most when using standard zooms, it's mostly towards the wide-end. The long end is rarely used. A wider albeit shorter lens would make a lot more sense to me. I know there are options like 10-24 and so, but these are too specialty lenses.

I wonder why no manufacturer has ever tried to release such a lens 20-60 equivalent lens?

Is it too difficult to design? I would think given the limited range, it would be doable.
--Florent

Flickr gallery

Messages In This Thread
Rumor: Fujinon XC 15-45mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Pancake Power Zoom - by thxbb12 - 01-09-2018, 10:49 AM