Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Official Panasonic announcement is out
(02-02-2019, 12:09 AM)you2 Wrote: Insanely expensive - even the bodies. No clue if it offers anything for the high prices. But at that price point and weight it better be good or will sink fast.

They're not "insanely" expensive: the S1 is $200-400 more than the Nikon Z6 and the Canon R, but the Canon and Panasonic kits with their respective 24-105 f4 lens are actually the same price, $3400 (the Nikon kit is a lot more affordable, thanks to a simpler 24-70 f4 lens). The Panasonic lenses are more costly or have slightly lower specs than their Canon equivalents, but I guess that's mostly due to expected volume of sales.

To me, it seems that Panasonic tried to go straight for the professional market: 4K60, best viewfinder currently on the market (apparently), IBIS with OIS in certain lenses, and dual card slots. Canon and Nikon, on the other hand, have targeted the prosumer and wealthy amateurs first rather than professionals, with cameras that have several issues for pros (one card slot, disappointing autofocus, poor 4k recording capacities).

The question is "Will that work for Panasonic?". It seems to me that they are taking a lot of risks... but, if they ever want to break into professional photography and compete against Canon and Nikon (and Sony), now is the only time to do it, while the industry is shifting from DSLR to Mirrorless.

Messages In This Thread
Official Panasonic announcement is out - by Klaus - 02-01-2019, 11:32 AM
RE: Official Panasonic announcement is out - by Spinifex - 02-02-2019, 03:16 AM